31143Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grep questions

    Aug 14, 2013
      Good morning
      Mi Aug 14 09:09:02 2013
      Thank You for help.

      > | > Well, your whole home directory should be backed up.
      > | > (Possibly excluding scratch areas like caches of temp files.)
      > | *
      > | Ok
      > | Should I also back up the whole home
      > | by changing for example from Xubuntu to Siduction?
      >
      > I don't understand this question.
      *
      What do I have to save
      when I want to decide:
      Stop using Xubuntu. I install a fresh Siduction (or SuSe or whatever)
      and I want to delete Xubuntu.

      > | What do I have to do
      > | I create a directory and there I put all executable files.
      > | I create a subfolder mybin in the dir bin like bin/mybin
      > | and put there my executable files.
      >
      > You could make this distinction if you like.

      > A more normal pattern is that third party executables/packages go
      > in /usr/local or /opt depending on style, on the premise that you
      > are installing them for all users of the computer to access.
      *
      Premise is:
      Root means admin does install.
      All users can use it.

      > If you are installing a third party exeutable/package only for
      > yourself (for example, experimental or insufficiently tested software
      > for some special purpose) you would install it in a directory inside
      > your own home directory (such as the "bin" you propose).
      *
      Ok

      > If you are doing that, it would be sensible to do as you suggested
      > and have a "bin" for third party stuff and a "mybin" for your own
      > stuff. Just mention both of them in your $PATH in whichever order suits
      > your own policy.
      *
      This is my question:
      Should I declare
      bin/mybin files
      in $path
      or does Linux find the executable file
      because
      mybin is a subdirectory of bin?

      > My personal habit on machine I alone administer is to install third
      > party packages in /opt, for example: /opt/mutt-1.5.21 for version
      > 1.5.21 of mutt.
      *
      OK

      Inside that directory there will be a "bin" with the "mutt"
      > executable and an assortment of other directories with manual
      entries, etc.
      *
      PK
      Thank You.

      > Then to present access to it to all users I would go to /usr/local/bin
      > (the "global" third party "bin" directory where people expect to find
      > "extra" software)
      > and go:
      >
      > ln -s /opt/mutt-1.5.21/bin/mutt mutt-1.5.21
      > ln -s /opt/mutt-1.5.21/bin/mutt mutt
      *
      Ok

      > This makes two names: "mutt" as the default version of mutt that
      > people get when they just type "mutt", and "mutt-1.5.21" as a name
      > people can type to run that specific version of mutt.
      *
      Ok.
      Very good example.
      Thank You.

      > Later, one can install mutt version 1.5.22 in a similar fashion in
      > /opt/mutt-1.5.22
      > and make just the "mutt-1.5.22" name in /usr/local/bin (the first "ln
      > -s" above).
      > If you then decide that 1.5.22 is good (and better), then change the
      > "default" mutt
      > to it:
      >
      > cd /usr/local/bin
      > rm mutt
      > ln -s /opt/mutt-1.5.22/bin/mutt mutt
      *
      Ok

      > This gives you flexibility to install multiple versions of software
      > and to pick and choose between them later.
      *
      Ok

      > It presumes that "/usr/local/bin" is in the $PATH, of course.
      >
      > | I think it is possibel to
      > | make a shell file:
      > | ffx does start firefox
      > | as shortcut.