31110Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grep questions

  • Cameron Simpson
    Aug 3 4:37 PM
      On 31Jul2013 15:39, highskywhy@... <highskywhy@...> wrote:
      | > Well, your whole home directory should be backed up.
      | > (Possibly excluding scratch areas like caches of temp files.)
      | *
      | Ok
      | Should I also back up the whole home
      | by changing for example from Xubuntu to Siduction?

      I don't understand this question.

      | What do I have to do
      | I create a directory and there I put all executable files.
      | I create a subfolder mybin in the dir bin like bin/mybin
      | and put there my executable files.

      You could make this distinction if you like.

      A more normal pattern is that third party executables/packages go
      in /usr/local or /opt depending on style, on the premise that you
      are installing them for all users of the computer to access.

      If you are installing a third party exeutable/package only for
      yourself (for example, experimental or insufficiently tested software
      for some special purpose) you would install it in a directory inside
      your own home directory (such as the "bin" you propose).

      If you are doing that, it would be sensible to do as you suggested
      and have a "bin" for third party stuff and a "mybin" for your own
      stuff. Just mention both of them in your $PATH in whichever order suits
      your own policy.

      My personal habit on machine I alone administer is to install third
      party packages in /opt, for example: /opt/mutt-1.5.21 for version
      1.5.21 of mutt. Inside that directory there will be a "bin" with the "mutt"
      executable and an assortment of other directories with manual entries, etc.

      Then to present access to it to all users I would go to /usr/local/bin
      (the "global" third party "bin" directory where people expect to find "extra" software)
      and go:

      ln -s /opt/mutt-1.5.21/bin/mutt mutt-1.5.21
      ln -s /opt/mutt-1.5.21/bin/mutt mutt

      This makes two names: "mutt" as the default version of mutt that
      people get when they just type "mutt", and "mutt-1.5.21" as a name
      people can type to run that specific version of mutt.

      Later, one can install mutt version 1.5.22 in a similar fashion in /opt/mutt-1.5.22
      and make just the "mutt-1.5.22" name in /usr/local/bin (the first "ln -s" above).
      If you then decide that 1.5.22 is good (and better), then change the "default" mutt
      to it:

      cd /usr/local/bin
      rm mutt
      ln -s /opt/mutt-1.5.22/bin/mutt mutt

      This gives you flexibility to install multiple versions of software
      and to pick and choose between them later.

      It presumes that "/usr/local/bin" is in the $PATH, of course.

      | I think it is possibel to
      | make a shell file:
      | ffx does start firefox
      | as shortcut.

      Certainly.

      Cheers,
      --
      Cameron Simpson <cs@...>

      Who's chopper is that? It's Zed's.
      Where is Zed? Zed's dead, baby. - Pulp Fiction
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic