31058Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grep questions

    Jul 10, 2013
      Good afternoon
      Mi Jul 10 15:46:14 2013
      Thank You for help.

      > | > Please configure your mail reader to indent the quoted material.
      > | *
      > | How can I do this?
      >
      > That depends on your mailer. But you seem to have done it for this
      message.
      *
      The problem was
      I deleted to much >>>>>
      so it is better to read.
      I am sorry.

      > Have you changed something? Your email is easier to read than it used
      to be.
      *
      I deleted the >>> sometimes.
      That was the problem.

      > | > Picking your reply text out of mine or others' is very difficult.
      > | > Observe that in this message the quite text is indented with a
      > | > marker character down the side, making it easy to distinguish the
      > | > new text.
      > | *
      > | How can I produce a marker in the email?
      >
      > Again, you seem to be doing so already. Normally a mailer will make
      > these markers for you. Then you just walk down the message, removing
      > irrelevant stuff and replying to the other parts as necessary.
      *
      Thunderbird did
      but I deleted it to save space.
      I am sorry.

      > | > The root, "/", is the top of the filesystem tree. Everything can be
      > found
      > | > from there by descending into subdirectories.
      > | >
      > | > Your "home" directory is the working directory you start with when
      > | > you log in, and is a special area set aside in the system for _your_
      > | > files. It is owned by you, and you can do what you like inside it.
      > | *
      > | So when I am searching
      > | file
      > | which I wrote by myself
      > | I should start
      > | grep in the home-directory, is this right?
      >
      > Yes.
      *
      Thanks.

      > | > Of you look at your $PATH variable by going:
      > | > echo $PATH
      > | echo $PATH

      /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games

      > | I did it
      > | but the result is confusing me:
      > | I opened the terminal:
      > | echo $PATH
      > |
      > | > you will see a list of directories, separated by colons.
      > | > Program files like in those directories.
      > | So I should copy a compiled file
      > | or a shell file
      > | in one of these directories?
      >
      > Yes, but normally you would have a directory of your own for this
      purpose.
      *
      But then I have to connect this directory to the path command.
      Example: I create shell files and I save them in my directory: dailytodo.

      > | What directory should I use for own files?
      >
      > Normally, $HOME/bin. So:
      >
      > - log in
      > - type "pwd" to check that you are in you home directory
      > - type "mkdir bin" to create a directory called "bin" in your home
      > directory
      *
      Is it better for not confuse myself to name it mybin
      ?

      > Then you need to put $HOME/bin into your $PATH.
      >
      > You can do this by running the command:
      >
      > PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
      > export PATH
      *
      Thank You.

      Then Linux is searching
      when I give comand like dothisnow
      in the
      directory
      bin or mybin
      for
      dothisnow.sh.

      ?

      > That does it only for the shell you ran it in.
      *
      This does mean
      I close the terminal
      and Linux will forget it.

      > To make it permanent, you would put that same command in your
      > .bash_profile (if your login shell is bash, which is probable). The
      > command:
      >
      > echo $SHELL
      *
      Thank You.

      > should tell you which shell you have.
      >
      > | > Normally there will be a "bin" directory in your own home directory,
      > | > eg "/home/name/bin", at the start of your $PATH. This lets you write
      > | > your own commands and have somewhere to put them.
      > | *
      > | So I should use:
      > | /home/name/bin.
      >
      > Yes.
      *
      Thank You.

      > | > Your home directory is where your files live, be they data or
      > | > program. "/home" is a common convention for where the user home
      > | > directories are stored.
      > | So
      > | maybe this is computer1 with user1.
      > | When I start using user2, then there will be a new home directory.
      > | Where using
      > | Linux
      > | Xubuntu
      > | Siduction
      > | is the place for
      > | create a second user?
      >
      > Yes. So there would be a /home/user1 for user1's files, and a
      > /home/user2 for user2's files.
      *
      Thank You
      Regards