31046Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grep questions

  • Cameron Simpson
    Jul 3, 2013
      On 03Jul2013 08:31, highskywhy@... <highskywhy@...> wrote:
      | > Please configure your mail reader to indent the quoted material.
      | *
      | How can I do this?

      That depends on your mailer. But you seem to have done it for this message.
      Have you changed something? Your email is easier to read than it used to be.

      | > Picking your reply text out of mine or others' is very difficult.
      | > Observe that in this message the quite text is indented with a
      | > marker character down the side, making it easy to distinguish the
      | > new text.
      | *
      | How can I produce a marker in the email?

      Again, you seem to be doing so already. Normally a mailer will make
      these markers for you. Then you just walk down the message, removing
      irrelevant stuff and replying to the other parts as necessary.

      | > The root, "/", is the top of the filesystem tree. Everything can be found
      | > from there by descending into subdirectories.
      | >
      | > Your "home" directory is the working directory you start with when
      | > you log in, and is a special area set aside in the system for _your_
      | > files. It is owned by you, and you can do what you like inside it.
      | *
      | So when I am searching
      | file
      | which I wrote by myself
      | I should start
      | grep in the home-directory, is this right?

      Yes.

      | > Of you look at your $PATH variable by going:
      | > echo $PATH
      | echo $PATH
      | /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
      |
      | I did it
      | but the result is confusing me:
      | I opened the terminal:
      | echo $PATH
      |
      | > you will see a list of directories, separated by colons.
      | > Program files like in those directories.
      | So I should copy a compiled file
      | or a shell file
      | in one of these directories?

      Yes, but normally you would have a directory of your own for this purpose.

      | What directory should I use for own files?

      Normally, $HOME/bin. So:

      - log in
      - type "pwd" to check that you are in you home directory
      - type "mkdir bin" to create a directory called "bin" in your home
      directory

      Then you need to put $HOME/bin into your $PATH.

      You can do this by running the command:

      PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
      export PATH

      That does it only for the shell you ran it in.

      To make it permanent, you would put that same command in your
      .bash_profile (if your login shell is bash, which is probable). The
      command:

      echo $SHELL

      should tell you which shell you have.

      | > Normally there will be a "bin" directory in your own home directory,
      | > eg "/home/name/bin", at the start of your $PATH. This lets you write
      | > your own commands and have somewhere to put them.
      | *
      | So I should use:
      | /home/name/bin.

      Yes.

      | > | Ist home where the data files are?
      | >
      | > Your home directory is where your files live, be they data or
      | > program. "/home" is a common convention for where the user home
      | > directories are stored.
      | So
      | maybe this is computer1 with user1.
      | When I start using user2, then there will be a new home directory.
      | Where using
      | Linux
      | Xubuntu
      | Siduction
      | is the place for
      | create a second user?

      Yes. So there would be a /home/user1 for user1's files, and a
      /home/user2 for user2's files.

      Cheers,
      --

      I thought the DoD was a bunch of licensed squids. The last thing you
      need is a bunch of unregulated, amateur squids running loose.