30808Re: zip

  • pmooney22
    Mar 10, 2013
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "highskywhy@..." <highskywhy@...>
      > Can I find 7zip
      > with ls ?

      ls lists the contents of a diesctory, unless you add an option (for
      example) ls -R which lists all the files in a directory PLUS all the
      files in subdirectories.

      There are many disk-indexing applications, but my preference is for the
      command line application locate.

      As usual add with sudo apt-get install locate

      You will then need to update the database with sudo updatebd (you will
      also need to do this occasionally in the future)

      Then you can type locate <file> to locate any file you want. e.g.
      locate 7zip on my system gives a list:

      Take a look at the Debian handbook sudo apt-get install debian handbook
      (it's free but donations welcomed for updating, etc). Other sources for
      information on X/K/ubuntu are the Official Documentation
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/12.10/ubuntu-help/index.html> pages and the
      ubuntuforums.org <ubuntuforums.org> .

      Hope this helps.