30789Re: [LINUX_Newbies] zip

  • C. Beck
    Mar 6, 2013
      On Mar 1, 2013 4:03 PM, "Trevor Pearson" <trev15evil@...> wrote:
      > On 01/03/13 19:07, highskywhy@... wrote:
      > > Fr Mär 01 19:07:12 2013
      > >
      > To see what programs are installed open a terminal and type 'cd
      > /usr/bin' followed by 'ls | more'

      I think that would be too limited to search for installed programs. You
      could maybe start with 'echo $PATH' to at least see what directories your
      current shell will be looking in for executable files. No guarantee your
      she'll environment is set up right though.

      Also, wasn't Fedora going to do away with user bin? Or is that the one
      they are keeping? Maybe I dreamed that!

      A better approach might be to use your package manager. I have dpkg
      installed for that purpose on my systems. To check/search for if say
      xterm is installed I could do the following;

      >>dpkg --get-selections | grep xterm

      This should find the program in question and any other executable file with
      the string xterm in it. The path in my shell shouldn't matter.