30733Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Whining About Wine

    Feb 10, 2013
      On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 05:52:34AM -0700, Chris Trask wrote:

      > > > I take it that command line is written in the terminal function.
      > >
      > > That's correct. You shouldn't have to use sudo either, it should install
      > > the application in your .wine directory. Note the period before the
      > > directory name, that means it is a hidden file.
      > >

      > !!!!! That part I did not know. I assumed that it was going to be in the C:\Program Files folder. So it may already be there. I'll have a look later after some parts arrive. I'm swapping between two hard drives (one with Win7 and the other with Linux) and I'm concerned about damaging one of them, so I have a spare adapter strip and caddy for this Dell laptop in the mail.

      In wine, at least on a 64 bit system, I have $HOME (referring to my home
      directory, for example, if your user name is chris, it would be
      /home/chris, or, depending upon distribution, /usr/home/chris--the home
      directory is also frequently referred to with a tilde, such as ~ to
      represent /home/chris), so at any rate, you should have

      ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files

      and, on a 64 bit system

      ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)

      So, it may be in there. If it is, you may be able to run it with

      wine <path_to_application>

      Note that with spaces in a name, it's easier to use tab completion--that
      is, type wine ~/.wine/driv (and hit the tab key, to let completion fill in
      the drive_c)/Prog (hit the tab key to let it fill in the backslash to
      escape the face in the file name, so it will look like

      wine ./wine/drive_c/Program\ Files

      and so on.

      Xander: I'm not worried. If there's something bad out there,
      we'll find, you'll slay, we'll party.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic