30731Re: Whining About Wine

  • chi_joan_pc
    Feb 9, 2013
      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" wrote:

      > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't use wine very much, and have found it to work about half the time
      > > on the specific applications that I've tried.
      > >
      > > I just run wine file. It will then almost always give
      > > some errors, but if I'm lucky, I'll see that I now have a
      > > $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/whatever
      > >
      > > It may be this particular program doesn't work with wine. Somewhere on
      > > their site, they have a list of many Windows programs with descriptions of
      > > how well they work or don't work.
      > > --
      > > Scott Robbins
      >

      > I had to run a file viewer in Wine once and I found an application called winetricks was helpful in getting it to work for me.
      >
      > http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
      >
      > It didn't make me feel any less dirty though.

      With Mint and a few other Distros, I found PlayOnLinux good for testing those games that wouldn't play on WinXP to run okay. I got CrossOver for free, but haven't tried it yet. I fix other people's Windows computers that I hardly turn on my WinXP or Win7 computers much these days.

      However, I do need to find out if all my old Pinball games work on Wine, etc. Did anyone ever buy the old BigBlue Disks in the DOS and early Window's days? I remember a sort of stick animated thing to watch and wish it was one of the Xscreensavers. I'll have to dig those out of the closet and do a Google search one of these days.

      Joan in Reno
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic