      From: Pierre
      Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 1:05 PM
      To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] install x on centos 5

      Hi!

      I am trying to install x-windows on a machine that run on centos 5

      I did a group install of gnome with this command:

      yum -y groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

      Everything seemed to go smootly I did not had any error reported at the end of the process.

      I even did a reboot of the machine

      but when I try to start X thats what I have:

      # startx
      hostname: Unknown host
      xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.2301
      xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH

      Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/bin is in your path and
      that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
      for your display. Possible server names include:

      Xorg X.Org displays

      xinit: Server error.
      #

      What am I doing wrong..

      X is supposed to install itself with the gnome group..??

      All I do is under the root user
      I know I should not, will switch to a user when things will run smooth