28603Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Help choosing the right Linux Distro

    Dec 2, 2010
      On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 01:23:55PM -0000, dbneeley wrote:
      > The standard application manager for Kubuntu is KPackageKit, which I abor.
      >
      > As for RPM, please someone correct me if I'm wrong--but last I heard the RPM resource database kept on your system lacks sufficient discrimination when it comes to required dependencies--that was originally a major reason it was to be completely rewritten. Has this been done?

      Yum, the front end for rpm, (I don't know about the GUI package
      managers) has handled this quite well for a long time.

      > Regardless of the front end used, if installing a new app creates dependency issues for ones already installed, that would seem a very bad idea...and before I went to Debian-based distros, that happened to me more than once on both SuSE and Red Hat. Has this been fixed?

      I've not run into it, which may, of course, only mean it's fixed on the
      packages I use. :)

      Wesley: Wait for Faith.
      Buffy: That could be hours. The girl makes Godot look punctual.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic