28601Re: Help choosing the right Linux Distro

  • dbneeley
    Dec 2 5:23 AM
      The standard application manager for Kubuntu is KPackageKit, which I abor.

      As for RPM, please someone correct me if I'm wrong--but last I heard the RPM resource database kept on your system lacks sufficient discrimination when it comes to required dependencies--that was originally a major reason it was to be completely rewritten. Has this been done?

      Regardless of the front end used, if installing a new app creates dependency issues for ones already installed, that would seem a very bad idea...and before I went to Debian-based distros, that happened to me more than once on both SuSE and Red Hat. Has this been fixed?

      David

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 08:25:58AM -0500, Roy wrote:
      > > I agree about yum being much improved and on par with apt. The biggest
      >
      > > problem with rpm distros is there is no uniformity. SuSE uses Yast/ Zypper,
      > > Fedora uses Smart and Yum, RedHat uses up2date, Mandriva uses urpmi, but
      > > last I heard they were switching to something else. To confuse things
      > > further PCLOS uses apt-rpm and Synaptic. Whereas all Debian distros use apt
      > > and dpkg. The commands are the same across all Debian based distros. That
      > > makes rpm harder to get to like and learn.
      >
      > Smart isn't the default, and one has to go to some effort to set it up.
      > RedHat, and its clones, Oracle, CentOS, Scientific, and of course,
      > Fedora, which is no longer a clone, use yum.
      >
      > I haven't used the others in awhile--I do know that their packages
      > aren't usually compatible with each other, and I don't know how
      > difference the uses of yum are between them.
      >

      > > I will add to that my recent experience with F14. I had several package
      > > managers installed, Packagekit, Yumex, Smart and Add /Remove and I could not
      > > get all of them to work from the same database. I would update in Yumex and
      > > then Packagekit would say it could not find the database and update which I
      > > had done just seconds before in Yumex. So I would rebuild the database but
      > > it would still only work in Packagekit and another one would break. At no
      > > point could I get all four to work. Not only that it would update the
      > > package list twice, before I installed an application and afterwards, before
      > > I had a chance to quit Yumex. It seems very touchy and antiquated to my
      > > thinking.
      >

      > Yumex has, unfortunately, become almost defunct in favor of packagekit.
      > Packagekit, may, one day, be something good, at present, its developers
      > have done things such as allow all installs and updates with no
      > authentication---this slipped by people because the majority use command
      > line and also because, in testing, packages are unsigned and it only
      > applied to signed packages. After this made the front page of slashdot,
      > they changed it, but he left it so that upgrading required no password,
      > which made it into RH beta. I think it was Jeff's mocking this to his
      > friend at RH that got it fixed.
      >

      > > Presto seems like a good idea, but it does not save any time because it
      > > spends much time calculating changes and testing them when it could be
      > > installing. It does save bandwidth if that is important to you.
      >
      > True, it doesn't save time, due to the rebuild, however, bandwidth is
      > the aim, I believe. On the other hand, these days, if you're on
      > limited bandwidth or dialup, not sure if Fedora would be the distro with
      > its frequently upgrades.
      >
      > I use it because for the majority of us in the IT industry, the jobs are
      > RH based, and at my age, will probably stay that way till I retired.
      > Your assessment doesn' sound overly harsh to me.
      >
      > > The advantage of Debian over RPM used to be stability, but as mentioned RPM
> [...]
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic