28598Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Help choosing the right Linux Distro

  • Roy
    Dec 1, 2010
      I agree about yum being much improved and on par with apt. The biggest
      problem with rpm distros is there is no uniformity. SuSE uses Yast/ Zypper,
      Fedora uses Smart and Yum, RedHat uses up2date, Mandriva uses urpmi, but
      last I heard they were switching to something else. To confuse things
      further PCLOS uses apt-rpm and Synaptic. Whereas all Debian distros use apt
      and dpkg. The commands are the same across all Debian based distros. That
      makes rpm harder to get to like and learn.

      I will add to that my recent experience with F14. I had several package
      managers installed, Packagekit, Yumex, Smart and Add /Remove and I could not
      get all of them to work from the same database. I would update in Yumex and
      then Packagekit would say it could not find the database and update which I
      had done just seconds before in Yumex. So I would rebuild the database but
      it would still only work in Packagekit and another one would break. At no
      point could I get all four to work. Not only that it would update the
      package list twice, before I installed an application and afterwards, before
      I had a chance to quit Yumex. It seems very touchy and antiquated to my
      thinking.

      Presto seems like a good idea, but it does not save any time because it
      spends much time calculating changes and testing them when it could be
      installing. It does save bandwidth if that is important to you. It may sound
      like I am being harsh, but I will save that for Yast which I have no use
      for. Yast tries to resolve dependencies and presents the user with choices
      and if the user is experienced it can be good, but if the user chooses
      wrongly it can destabilise the whole system.

      The advantage of Debian over RPM used to be stability, but as mentioned RPM
      is stable now. The advantage now is that Debian is more uniform and simpler
      to use. It also has far more packages because Debian maintains such huge
      repos. The best RPM distro in my experience has roughly half the number of
      packages that Ubuntu has.

      When there is so much talk about having one package manager to rule them
      all, it seems that RPM must first get its act together and agree on some
      standards before they could hope to present RPM as a viable alternative to
      DEB.

      Roy

      Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
      Location: Canada