28158Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Multi-boot headaches

  • Donald Cooley
    Jul 3, 2010
      On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 23:32:04 -0700
      "Jim Scott" <bsddaemon@...> wrote:

      > Not sure If I'm understanding this correctly,
      You are

      >you already have a
      > multi-boot system with slackware and OpenBSD and you're adding
      > another harddrive. I'm guessing that you are using GRUB in slackware
      > as the bootloader for it and OpenBSD, if so.

      That is also correct although I didn't make that clear.

      >The problem is that
      > Windows will want to write a new MBR (I think this occurs when
      > installing Service Packs as well or at least it used to), on the
      > first disk. You will probably have to disconnect the first disk,
      > install XP on your new drive then configure GRUB in Slackware with a
      > new entry for XP. I have usually done it when Windows is already
      > installed, and you can use GRUB or in OpenBSD's case GAG as the
      > bootloader.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Jim

      This has to be one of the dumbest things I have tried in
      awhile. In my defense I haven't used a Windows OS in sometime.
      Still... I got XP installed by disabling the first hard drive.
      XP didn't recognize any of my hardware. Why should it? It's an
      old OS by now. I'm going to attempt with windows 7
      (which, of course, I should have done in the first
      place). Crossing my fingers hoping it has good hardware
      detection.

      Thanks for the suggestions and I'll let the list know how it
      turns out if anyone is interested.

      --
      Regards,
      Donald