      From: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of chi_joan_pc
      Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2010 7:20 PM
      To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Multi-boot headaches

      --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Donald Cooley <dfcooley@...> wrote:

      > I know this is a Linux forum but I also know many of us multi-boot.
      > I need some help with installing and booting xp from a second hard
      > drive. I know there is a lot of information on Google, but I am getting
      a migraine wading through it and restarting my machine with the xp
      installation disc. I know xp is being phased out but I need it for some
      games.

      > I have slackware and openbsd on /dev/sda. No problems there. I bought a
      western digital caviar 680G

      <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=TS
      D-640AAKS%20TD>
      > This is an oem drive. I used cfdisk to give it a ntfs of 100g and then
      formatted it with gparted. The problem I'm having is when I go to
      > install Windows I get to the screen about using a partition and I get an
      error saying something like I don't have a valid xp partition. I've tried
      deleting and letting windows create a partition but it refuses. I was hoping
      to get this finished this weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

      > --
      > Regards,
      > Donald Cooley

      http://www.cooldrives.com/mrsatrmorawi.html
      http://www.cooldrives.com/4posaiisw3ba.html

      The above links might solve some problems, no dual-boot required, swap out
      drives or select another one and boot. Because I think WinXP expects to be
      master OS. You'd have to hide the one hard drive from the other otherwise by
      way of another boot manager. This is why dual-boot usually starts from DOS
      or Windows.

      http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/Bo
      oting_Windows_on_second_HD_with_Grub

      http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/installation/83683-install-windows-second
      -hard-drive-while-linux-first-hard-drive.html

      I hope others can update those for you

      Joan in Reno