19150Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Script Help Required, please.

  • Brad Rogers
    Dec 2, 2004
      On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 20:24:16 +0000
      ed <ed@...> wrote:

      Hello ed,

      > > > Learn bash and it will become the highlight of your days.
      > > Well, I wouldn't go that far..... :-)
      > You have not experienced the deep joy(tm) of dropping some kung-foo
      > script into a working system and see it spawn off a dozen carefully
      > selected tasks, auto-magically.

      True, but I can appreciate a good job well done, so I take your meaning.

      > I think half the power of bash is in utils like grep sed and tr.
      > They're VERY powerful and well worth learning:

      I can see that they are, yes. Sadly, most of the info I have about them
      leaves a lot to be desired. One day, a Google session is in order, I
      feel.

      > MP3PLAYER="My favourite mp3 player is WINAMP"
      > echo `echo $MP3PLAYER | sed 's/WINAMP/XMMS/'`
      > The above does not qualify for deep joy (tm) but I'm sure you get the
      > idea.

      Indeed, I do.

      --
      Regards _