Re: 8 July ~ King James Strang Day

  • James Somes
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 12 12:41 AM
      Only Jospeh Smith, Jr. could designate his sucessor. This is in
      accordance with the D&C. There is no historical written evidence in
      either Jospeh's hand or one of his scribes that he ever designated
      his son Joseph, III. There are diary accounts of what
      people "thought" they saw.

      As a Strangite I really didn't do much for July 8th. As an EMT I
      work round the clock and don't really have time for commeration. I
      keep the Lord with me in my heart throughout the day. As a people I
      think most stragites don't really do anyhting special on that day
      other than remember that James was crowned king of latter-day
      Israel. Perhaps they have dinner with their family.

      --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, Patlabb@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 7/11/2004 2:09:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > amicus@w... writes:
      > On 8 July 1850 James Strang was crowned on Beaver Island. I know
      the
      > Stragites are a small community but do they still celebrate /
      commemorate the
      > anniversary? And what was James crowned King of? Isn't he of the
      tribe of Judah? Of
      > all the Mormon groups I find the Strangites to be the most
      fascinating. And
      > from my non Mormon perspective it seems to me he had the best claim
      to be
      > Joseph's successor. He did the works of Joseph; he was a prophet,
      seer, revelator
      > and translator. Not only did he translate the Voree Plates he
      brought forth
      > the Stick of Judah - The Book of the Law of the Lord.
      > STRANG was only a member of the Church for a few short months prior
      > Joseph's death, he was not in the leadership of the Church and his
      letter of
      > "appointment" is questionable. On the other hand Joseph Smith III
      was the son of the
      > Prophet and had the blessing an appointment from the elder Joseph.
      Strang
      > claim was weak while Joseph III claim was strong.
      >
      > Patrick
      > www.hometown.aol.com/patlabb
      > Building Communities of Joy, Peace, Hope and Love....
      > Construire les Communaut├ęs de Joie, la Paix, l'Espoir et
      l'Amour. ...
      > The Community of Christ
      >
      > http://www.cofchrist.org/
    • William Sheldon
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 13 7:54 AM
        Eriq:  I am William Sheldon of the Church of Christ on the Temple Lot (Hedrickites, if you will).  It may be presumptuous of me to speak in re leadership in the Reorganization, but
         I have read the account as you have given it.  My only reason for responding in this, is to affirm that you have pointed up an ecclesiatical system which is unscriptural, either in the Bible or Book of Mormon.  It has been a gross error for the latter day saint faith to have accepted the prophet/president concept; and so, successorship to an unscriptural office is not acceptable with God.  Yet He has borne with the system just as He bore with ancient Israel in their insistence in having a king at their head.. He gave them a king (Saul, etc.), but they suffered the consequence in unrighteous kingship which ultimately caused the scattering of all Israel.  Now see, likewise, how latter day Israel has been scattered.!  The divine order of the Church  is in the setting of twelve apostles at the head, under Christ, of course.  Much more could be said, but. I forbear.
        Eriq wrote:
        I read somewhere (I've forgotten where, it was years ago), that when
        Joseph Smith III was fisrt offered leadership in the "Reorganized"
        church, he turned it down--and a few others governed the church
        before he accepted.  But, whenever I hear someome of the Commuity of
        Christ mention it, it's always talked about as an automatic
        succession, without question.  Was the account I read faulty?

        amicus@w... writes:
        On 8 July 1850 James Strang was crowned on Beaver Island. I know

        the

        Stragites are a small community but do they still celebrate /

        commemorate the

        anniversary? And what was James crowned King of? Isn't he of the

        tribe of Judah?  Of

        all the Mormon groups I find the Strangites to be the most

        fascinating.  And

        from my non Mormon perspective it seems to me he had the best

        claim to be

        Joseph's successor.  He did the works of Joseph; he was a prophet,

        seer, revelator

        and translator.  Not only did he translate the Voree Plates he

        brought forth

        the Stick of Judah - The Book of the Law of the Lord.
        STRANG was only a member of the Church for a few short months

        prior to

        Joseph's death, he was not in the leadership of the Church and his

        letter of

        "appointment" is questionable. On the other hand Joseph Smith III

        was the son of the

        Prophet and had the blessing an appointment from the elder Joseph.

        Strang

        claim was weak while Joseph III claim was strong.

        Patrick
        www.hometown.aol.com/patlabb
        Building Communities of Joy, Peace, Hope and Love....
        Construire les Communautés de Joie, la Paix, l'Espoir et

        l'Amour. ...

        The Community of Christ

        http://www.cofchrist.org/

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/OuTslB/TM