Other groups that build temples

  • Jonathan
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2011
      I almost never post on this group, though this is one that I've been a member of for some time. I have a simple question:

      Other than the Salt Lake LDS Church, which other break-off groups have actually completed temples? Along with that, are there any pictures that you might be aware of? I'd love to see what they look like.

      Groups I know of:

      RLDS
      FLDS
      Wightites

      Again, if you know of any pictures, please attach or link to them here. I'm especially interested to know more about the Wightite temple in Texas. Even if I've already mentioned the group but you know of a nice picture of their temple, I'd really appreciate seeing it.
    • amicus@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2011
        Who are the Wightites?
      • DonaldG
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2011
          There are a couple of others, that I know of, but with the exception of one or two that there are pictures of.

          The Righteous Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Here's a link from wikipedia, with a picture of their pyramid shaped temple http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righteous_Branch_of_the_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints

          Apostolic united Brethren has a temple in Mexico, but not sure there are any pictures online.

          Summum, connected to the Latter Day Saints movement, probably though participants, having been members of the LDS church, have a pyramid shaped temple in Salt Lake City.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summum_Pyramid
          --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan" <darth_gollum@...> wrote:

          > I almost never post on this group, though this is one that I've been a member of for some time. I have a simple question:
          >
          > Other than the Salt Lake LDS Church, which other break-off groups have actually completed temples? Along with that, are there any pictures that you might be aware of? I'd love to see what they look like.
          >
          > Groups I know of:
          >
          > RLDS
          > FLDS
          > Wightites
          >
          > Again, if you know of any pictures, please attach or link to them here. I'm especially interested to know more about the Wightite temple in Texas. Even if I've already mentioned the group but you know of a nice picture of their temple, I'd really appreciate seeing it.

        • Shane Gabriel
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 1, 2011
            I assume he's referring to the followers of Lyman Wight. His group dissolved, however.

            Shane

              It's really hard to dance when you're carrying the piano.
              Let life unfold.

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2011
                A couple of years ago I came across an obituary online that said that the deceased was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ in Zion and that he had helped with the building of the Church of Jesus Christ in Zion's temple at Adam Ondi Ahman in Missouri. However, I have not come across any other evidence of the existence of this temple. The website of the Church of Jesus christ in Zion is at http://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/ but it only consists of the one page and does not help.

                John

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2011
                  The group led by Lyman Wight ceased to exist in the 19th century and I assume this is the group that is meant as they did settle in Texas and dedicate a building as a temple there. However, there is another possibility although it is unlikely. In the late 1980's and early 1990's I was in correspondence with someone in Canada called Wagner Saende. He claimed to be a member of a church called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Fundamentalists also known as the LDS-F Church. This is not to be confused with the FLDS Church. Saende claimed that the LDS-F Church was a re-establishment of Lyman Wight's church and that many members of the Wight family belonged to the church. He said that the church was fundamentalist, practising plural marriage and denying blacks the priesthood. He said that the church had members in the USA and Canada and mentioned stakes in Canada. He said that the church operated largely underground because of fear of persecution and that the members kept their church membership secret. I was never able to find any other members of this church and could not get any contact address other than Saende's address. I was never able to confirm that this church actually existed and none of the experts in the field of LDS fundamentalism that I contacted had heard of it. I came to the conclusion that the church was Saende's fantasy. Saende was a member of white supremacist organizations and passed away a number of years ago. Nevertheless I suppose there is just a slight possibility that this church does exist and, if so, they would be today's Wightites.

                  John

                  --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, Shane Gabriel <sscgbr@...> wrote:

                  > I assume he's referring to the followers of Lyman Wight. His group dissolved,
                  > however.
                  >

                  > Shane
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • iwillnotrememberanyway
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2011
                    John Hamer did some intriguing and artistic graphics of temples built or planned by diverse groups, with much conjectural yet reasonable detail, and some ingenious scaling. I think they are Wikipedia.

                    --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndawson2831@...> wrote:

                    > The group led by Lyman Wight ceased to exist in the 19th century and I assume this is the group that is meant as they did settle in Texas and dedicate a building as a temple there. However, there is another possibility although it is unlikely. In the late 1980's and early 1990's I was in correspondence with someone in Canada called Wagner Saende. He claimed to be a member of a church called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Fundamentalists also known as the LDS-F Church. This is not to be confused with the FLDS Church. Saende claimed that the LDS-F Church was a re-establishment of Lyman Wight's church and that many members of the Wight family belonged to the church. He said that the church was fundamentalist, practising plural marriage and denying blacks the priesthood. He said that the church had members in the USA and Canada and mentioned stakes in Canada. He said that the church operated largely underground because of fear of persecution and that the members kept their church membership secret. I was never able to find any other members of this church and could not get any contact address other than Saende's address. I was never able to confirm that this church actually existed and none of the experts in the field of LDS fundamentalism that I contacted had heard of it. I came to the conclusion that the church was Saende's fantasy. Saende was a member of white supremacist organizations and passed away a number of years ago. Nevertheless I suppose there is just a slight possibility that this church does exist and, if so, they would be today's Wightites.
                    >
                    > John
                    >
                    > --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, Shane Gabriel <sscgbr@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I assume he's referring to the followers of Lyman Wight. His group dissolved,
                    > > however.
                    > >

                    > > Shane
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • robert robinson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2011

                        Yes, indeed I mean the group led by Lyman Wight. Supposedly they built the first temple West of the Mississipi, beating out the Brighamites. I wish I could learn a little more about this temple, what it looked like, etc., as well as various other groups' temples. Thanks to all who have responded so far, and if anyone has anything further to share, I'd love to see it.

                        --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndawson2831@...> wrote:

                        > The group led by Lyman Wight ceased to exist in the 19th century and I assume this is the group that is meant as they did settle in Texas and dedicate a building as a temple there. However, there is another possibility although it is unlikely. In the late 1980's and early 1990's I was in correspondence with someone in Canada called Wagner Saende. He claimed to be a member of a church called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Fundamentalists also known as the LDS-F Church. This is not to be confused with the FLDS Church. Saende claimed that the LDS-F Church was a re-establishment of Lyman Wight's church and that many members of the Wight family belonged to the church. He said that the church was fundamentalist, practising plural marriage and denying blacks the priesthood. He said that the church had members in the USA and Canada and mentioned stakes in Canada. He said that the church operated largely underground because of fear of persecution and that the members kept their church membership secret. I was never able to find any other members of this church and could not get any contact address other than Saende's address. I was never able to confirm that this church actually existed and none of the experts in the field of LDS fundamentalism that I contacted had heard of it. I came to the conclusion that the church was Saende's fantasy. Saende was a member of white supremacist organizations and passed away a number of years ago. Nevertheless I suppose there is just a slight possibility that this church does exist and, if so, they would be today's Wightites.
                        >
                        > John
                        >
                        > --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, Shane Gabriel <sscgbr@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I assume he's referring to the followers of Lyman Wight. His group dissolved,
                        > > however.
                        > >

                        > > Shane
                        > >

                        > > ________________________________

                      • Steven Shields
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2, 2011
                          Lyman Wight's colony at Zodiac, Texas, built a two-story log building, the upper floor of which they dedicated for temple rituals. The main floor was a storehouse. The records also talk about baptisms for the dead, but unclear whether these took place inside the building. If they did, they must have had a pool under the floorboards of the first floor. The building was dedicated in 1849, and used for 2 years, when the settlement was abandoned and the community relocated. There is no historical record that I could find that suggests another building was ever built in which temple rituals were done.

                        • amicus@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2011
                            <<The records also talk about baptisms for the dead, but unclear whether
                            these took place inside the building. If they did, they must have had a
                            pool under the floorboards of the first floor.>>

                            Maybe they got a dispensation to do them in a river like Joseph did for
                            the Mississippi and James for the White River?
                          • amicus@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2, 2011
                              Did Lyman Wight claim any special priesthood authority other than the
                              apostleship received through Joseph?

                              Did Lyman receive any revelations / "Thus saith the Lord ..."? Or was he
                              just working under his commission from Joseph to settle in Texas?

                              Just curious - I don't know Texas geography. Is the FLDS colony
                              anywhere near any of Wight's sites?
                            • DonaldG
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 3, 2011
                                It's interesting, if you go to google maps, or google earth, zooming down to a street level view of the street that runs in front of the Adam Ondhi Ahman monument, a little to the south, caddy corner, of that is a little white church. Which is clearly not an LDS church, and at the right angle you can see one of the signs outside of the building, which is hard to make out, but it does seem to say Church of Jesus Christ in Zion. Hope this is helpful.
                                --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndawson2831@...> wrote:

                                > A couple of years ago I came across an obituary online that said that the deceased was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ in Zion and that he had helped with the building of the Church of Jesus Christ in Zion's temple at Adam Ondi Ahman in Missouri. However, I have not come across any other evidence of the existence of this temple. The website of the Church of Jesus christ in Zion is at http://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/ but it only consists of the one page and does not help.
                                >
                                > John
                                >
                                > --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan" <darth_gollum@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I almost never post on this group, though this is one that I've been a member of for some time. I have a simple question:
                                > >
                                > > Other than the Salt Lake LDS Church, which other break-off groups have actually completed temples? Along with that, are there any pictures that you might be aware of? I'd love to see what they look like.
                                > >
                                > > Groups I know of:
                                > >
                                > > RLDS
                                > > FLDS
                                > > Wightites
                                > >
                                > > Again, if you know of any pictures, please attach or link to them here. I'm especially interested to know more about the Wightite temple in Texas. Even if I've already mentioned the group but you know of a nice picture of their temple, I'd really appreciate seeing it.

                              • steve.shields
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 3, 2011
                                  Donald, could you be more specific with an address or the GPS coordinates? There are so many LDS Church markers around the entire area, it's hard to know what you mean by the "monument." Thanks.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 3, 2011
                                    The most complete study on Wight to date, and it has a lot of missing information--such as the questions you ask--is Melvin Johnson's "Polygamy on the Pedernales." Publ. 2006 by Utah State University Press

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 3, 2011
                                      1792 NW State Highway D, and its at the corner where NW Far W Dr Co Rd 370 ends at NW State Highway D.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 3, 2011
                                        Thanks for the address Donald.

                                        I have to report to you that the church building you are seeing is the Far West Congregation of Community of Christ. It is catty-corner from the Far West Temple Site.