Re: [LDSgroups] Pauline Hancock

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2004
      Pauline Hancock's "Church of Christ" was located on
      South Crysler, not Lexington. The street takes a name
      change when it turns south at the Community of Christ
      Auditorium.

      The church began as a study group, and only gradually
      emerged into a separate church. This was in the
      mid-1940s. In the early 1970s when they came to the
      conclusion that the Book of Mormon was fraudulent, and
      they dropped it, they began to move closer to the
      Nazarene Church way of doing things, and for a number
      of years they had preachers from the Nazarene Seminary
      in Kansas City.

      I had a long and engaging friendship and
      correspondence with Olive Wilcox, until her untimely
      death in the 1980s. When the church voted to disband
      (I think it was about 1984 or 1985), it was, according
      to Olive, somewhat heartbreaking, but really mostly a
      logical decision, as they were very few in number and
      really had little to distinguish themselves from other
      denominations, the Narzrene being the one that they
      most closely identified with.