OT FYI

  • Robert McKay
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2010
      When I stopped at the corner gas station today to grab a vanilla Coke on
      the way home, there was a stack of paper on the counter - it seems the
      personal initiative of the clerk. It turns out that cell phone numbers,
      which hitherto haven't been all that easily available to just anyone, are
      going to become public sometime this month, which could lead to as many
      telemarketing calls on your cell phone as on a regular telephone.

      There is, however, a way out. If you call (888) 382-1222 you can put
      your cell phone number on a national don't call list, so that the
      friendly salespeople don't call you. I did it myself this afternoon.

      Personally, I'm surprised cell phone numbers aren't already just as
      public as any other phone numbers. For as long as there's been telephone
      service, I guess - certainly all my life - you either get your name and
      number in the phone book, or you pay extra to keep it out. And a cell
      phone is a telephone, albeit one that doesn't connect to a wire that
      comes from the pole to your house, and one that in a great many cases
      doesn't get its service from a regular phone company. It's odd, or so I
      find it anyway, that cell phone numbers aren't in the phone book just
      like other telephone numbers.

      Anyway, if you want on the list, call the number. :)

      Robert McKay (goffscalifornia@...)
      If a situation requires undivided attention, it will occur simultaneously
      with a compelling distraction.
      [Taglinator 4.0 unregistered - www.srtware.com]
      How to Stay Asleep
      Cambridge Researchers have developed an all natural sleep aid just for you.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4ce23358533344eceem02duc