Re: Charismatic Restoration church?

  • John
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1 2:42 AM
      Thanks, Ammon, for such an interesting query. I have also been through the LDS temple endowment. There are definitely no tongues whatsoever in the LDS temple endowment - not in the prayer circle or any other part of the endowment. In the version of the endowment that preceded the current version there were three words in what I think is believed to be Adamic repeated at certain points in the endowment but that is gone from the current version of the endowment. I will not go into any more details here out of respect for LDS members of this group. I, of course, am not party to what goes on in meetings of the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve but I would be very surprised if speaking in tongues takes place because this would be contrary to the teaching of the LDS Church which is (or at least it was when I was in the LDS Church) that the gift of tongues is to enable people to learn a known foreign language supernaturally quickly, not to speak in unknown tongues. Fo example, a LDS missionary sent from the USA to the Korean Mission might learn Korean supernaturally quickly. I deliberately use this example because I know that Steven Shields served his LDS mission in Korea.

      Regarding other possible charismatic churches and groups in the LDS movement, there was a group called the Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that I believe may have had speaking in tongues but that was a short lived group that ceased to exist some years ago with, I understand, its members moving into mainstream Christianity. I believe there may sometimes be manifestations of the gift of tongues in meetings of the Church of Jesus Christ with headquarters in Monongahela, Pennsylvania (the Bickertonites) but I am not sure that this is accompanied by the lively worship found in charismatic mainstream Christian churches.

      I am not sure what the position is in the Community of Christ. This is a fairly broad church now with, I understand, some congregations engaging in modern, lively worship. Would speaking in tongues ever occur in Community of Christ meetings? How does the Community of Christ view speaking in tongues? Perhaps Steven Shields will be able to help us with this.

      Finally I am not sure whether speaking in tongues has any place in LDS fundamentalist circles. If speaking in tongues occurred in the church in Joseph Smith's and Brigham Young's time, have the fundamentalists tried to get back to that at all?

      John

      --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, "Ammon" <bookofmormonwarrior@...> wrote:

      > Out of respect for LDS folks here I won't go into much detail about their Temple rites...
      >
      > I've heard the faith-promoting stories about BFTD. Never experienced myself.
      >
      > There is a prayer circle, true. But is essentially a prayer like any other with the participants just repeating after the the person saying the prayer.
      >
      > I have never heard that the First Presidency speaks in tongues to each other. We were often told the the speed at which the missionaries learn a foreign language was the "gift of tongues".
      >
      > --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, amicus@ wrote:
      > >
      > > <<I have been through the LDS Temple Ritual... no tongues. It would be a
      > > good way to get yourself kicked out of the session though.>>
      > >

      > > I would have thought that things were suppose to be more spiritual
      > > inside the temple.
      > >
      > > Like when youth are baptized for the dead sometimes the spirits of the
      > > dead can be seen?
      > >

      > > Isn't there something called a (priesthood) prayer circle that can be
      > > done inside the temple?
      > >
      > > When the First Presidency and the 12 meet wouldn't they sometimes speak
      > > in tongues?

    • tom arnold
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1 5:19 AM
        The Latter-Day Church of Christ with Signs & Wonders is open to all expressions of the spirit. We are a small group but we are still here. Being the First Elder I can personally tell you that I have spoken in tongues and do pray in tongues.  We use various styles of worship and I have personally participated in all styles from liturgical to pentecostal type worship.

        Things have been quiet due to us reloacting to a new house but we are still operating and hope to have worship services back up and running once we have everything unpacked and setup again.

        We believe in the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the D&C and we have our own book called the New Book of Covenants and Commandments. We are an open church who are open to all who profess Jesus Christ.

        Most questions about us can be answered by reading the New Book of Covenants or by emailing me personally.

        So if you want to check us out please do.

        In Christ,

        First Elder Tom

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1 11:53 AM
          Thank you for sharing. As I read through your material I do have one question (so far)...

          Do you only accept baptisms from other Restoration churches or from the whole of Christianity?

          I'm sure I will have some follow-up based on your answer.

          God Bless.

        • amicus@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1 12:01 PM
            I thought that when the FP and the 12 meet in the SLC temple dressed in
            their temple robes that such spiritual things go on there that words can
            not describe. When they leave they are literally glowing!
          • Ammon
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1 12:38 PM
              Uh huh....

              Think more Executive Board Meeting. Have you ever read D. Michael Quinn's book with "Extensions of Power" (or some such thing) in the title? Pick it up sometime.