INTRO (before I start asking lots of questions :-) )

  • didache_pv
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2004
      Greetings everyone,

      My name is Philip Voerding. I joined this email forum because I find
      LDS/Mormon history, especially the first 100 years, very fascinating.
      Although I have never been a member of any group that uses the Book
      of Mormon or the other distinctive scriptures, I have friends who
      are "Mormons", and mostly are members of the LDS (Utah). However,
      my personal interest these days is with those Mormon groups that did
      not go West with Brigham Young. James J. Strong is of the most
      interest to me because of the Book of the Law. I'm also interested
      (now that I've done some web-surfing) in those who prefer to use the
      the Book of Commandments instead of the D&C. In my experience, the
      Mormons I've known have been caring people who take care of the needy
      among them. I do take LDS/Mormons very seriously and I have respect
      for my Mormon friends.

      As for me, I was born into a Roman Catholic family, I left the Church
      in my early teens, began attending a church seriously again at age 25
      (Evangelical, Holiness, mildy Pentecostal), and then after about a
      decade, my personal studies of early Church history and comparative
      religion led me first to the Roman Catholic Church, then, I took a
      long look at Eastern Orthodoxy. Next, I studied non-Trinitarian
      Sabbath Keeping groups. Personally, I now have a Unitarian view of
      God (but I don't expect everyone hold the same conclusion on that),
      and at this point I'm most influenced by what I learned in my studies
      of Judaism (including Karaism and Falasha/Ethiopian Jews, the classic
      Jewish Christian groups (Ebionites, Nazoreans, Nasareans, etc.) and
      Islam (especially 12er Shi'ism and Sufism). Along the way, I
      personally came to believe that God doesn't condemn anyone for what
      they sincerely don't understand (invincible ignorance). I've
      believed the way I do for about 5 years now (after a very unsettling
      5 years of trying to "learn the Truth") and so I consider
      myself "stable", but who knows what I might believe 5 years from now
      (nervous smile). Anyway, our dear moderator may think this intro too
      long, so I'll end here (and I promise to be briefer with my "Query"
      Posts :-) ).

      May God bless you all,

      Philip