Re: [LDSgroups] QUERY: A small amount of ecumenism never hurts anyone, I guess

  • Jason R. Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
      This was exactly why it seemed strange.  This particular Elijah Message group is like 4 times removed from the RLDS/CoC.  I certainly don't see anything odd about the CoC renting the building, it does seem odd that the Elijah Message church would want to.  It's not like the Remant Church or CRE sponsoring trips to the Kirtland Temple;  I doubt these these folks would go expecting a special endowment from just being in the building.  Anyway, I'll drop my query now.  Thanks for the reponses - I'm glad to see that the good people on LDSgroups are alive and kicking =)

      Jason

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
        Yes, I know it is a split from Temple Lot I have some old pamphlets where they even include Julian Whitings name in their group, which Virginia Lane (Church of Jesus Christ) denies he ever had associations.  (wonder how that happened then??)  Anyway, that answer was just for Jason's benefit- something we discussed this weekend concerning "kinship" and different splits.

        EarlyRR@... wrote:
         Hi

        The Church of Christ with the Elijah Message is a split off of the
        Temple Lot Church and has not been associated with the CoC
        since the 1920's.  A larger space is needed for a conference.
        The CoC is very cooperative in renting their buildings as they
        need the money.  The Restoration Branches have rented the
        Auditorium for Communion Services on the Sunday nearest April
        6th for the last two years now to bring all the branches together
        for a once a year service.  My guess is they just needed the space
        for the conference and the CoC is willing to rent to them.

        Love in Christ,
        Mirl Edwards
        In a message dated 2/2/2004 10:59:29 AM Central Standard Time, juliamurdocksmith@... writes:
        Jason,
        Sounds like just another "group" asserting their belief that they still hold some sort of bond with the COC members.
        Erin

        "Jason R. Smith" wrote:
        LDSgroupies -

        This last week I received the Voice of Joy, the monthly magazine of the Church of Christ, "The Church with the Elijah Message."  There is an announcement on the back page for that group's 2004 General Church Assembly - June 20-23, 2004.  They are holding it at the Community of Christ on Gudgell in Independence.  Does this strike anyone as strange, or is it just me?  If you think I am making too much of this, please let me know.

        Jason

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Jeff Needle