Re: [LDSgroups] Genetic Disorder Among FLDS

  • Jeffrey Needle
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2007
      A shorter link to replace the long one:

      http://tinyurl.com/ynr4fc

      Brings you to the same place.

      --
      -------------------------------
      Jeffrey Needle
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2007
        See this article

        http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/polygamists-face-rare-genetic-
        disorder/20070614104509990001
      • Steven H. Tucker
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 15, 2007
          --- In LDSgroups@yahoogroups.com, "steve.shields" <stevenlshields@...>
          wrote:

          > See this article
          >
          > http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/polygamists-face-rare-genetic-
          disorder/20070614104509990001

          Yes... I read that and I've actually heard it before. People shouldn't
          inbreed like that. You cousin should be your half-aunt too. :-)

          -Steve
          http://uldc.freewebpage.org/home.html
        • John Dawson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 17, 2007

            The article about the abnormal rate of fumarase deficiency among members of the FLDS Church due to inbreeding made me wonder whether there is also an abnormal rate of fumarase deficiency among the Kingston Group which also engages in inbreeding. Maybe not. Maybe a person with the rogue gene has not joined them. But am I right in thinking that they also have health problems of one kind & another due to inbreeding? Where does this practice of inbreeding come from among the FLDS & the Kingston Group? Is it a doctrine or something that has just arisen from an inability to win converts from outside their family circles? I know about plural marriage but I cannot recall that Joseph Smith & Brigham Young ever advocated inbreeding. Do the breakaway groups from the FLDS Church – the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Kingdom of God , the Work of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Third Ward – also practice inbreeding? Am I right in thinking that inbreeding does not feature so much in other fundamentalist groups such as the Apostolic United Brethren, the Righteous Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints & the independent fundamentalists?