Re: [LDSgroups] Reins

  • shacg@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 10 , May 25, 2006
      Pat,

      It does seem a little ironic that with all this sexual stuff that goes
      on; that the Mormon churh puts all this emphasis on modesty. I even
      remember when there were youth activities that involved swimming;
      bikinies were not allowed.

      Shane
    • Patlabb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
        In a message dated 6/15/2006 12:11:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, shacg@... writes:
        Pat,

        It does seem a little ironic that with all this sexual stuff that goes
        on; that the Mormon church puts all this emphasis on modesty. I even
        remember when there were youth activities that involved swimming;
        bikinis were not allowed.

        Shane

        The Mormon Church has a lot of contradictions (like most cults), in my case when I left the Mormon Church and was baptized in a Restoration Church they told my ex-wife to divorce me since I was an apostate. They told my children not to associate with me if they wanted to be good little Mormons and get into the Celestial Kingdom. My wife did divorce me but A COURT enforced visitation. The real irony is that she re-married a "good" Mormon, who beat her and is now in prison in Utah for child molestation. NONE OF MY CHILDREN ARE ACTIVE IN THE MORMON CHURCH, none of them unfortunately go to church. The only children that go to church are my children with my present wife. We both now belong to the Community of Christ.
      • Bill Russell
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2006
          Back in the 1960s, my good friend John Blackstock was Stake President
          for Far West. He would send out letters about the forthcoming reunion
          (weeklong family camp) instructing us NOT to wear shorts. Very modest.

          About ten years ago I preached a sermon in shorts at a summer reunion.
          Still feeling guilty about it, of course.

          Bill

          It does seem a little ironic that with all this sexual stuff that goes
          on; that the Mormon churh puts all this emphasis on modesty. I even
          remember when there were youth activities that involved swimming;
          bikinies were not allowed.

          Shane

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • darth_gollum
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 25, 2006
            When I joined this group, I read this phrase on the front page:

            "This list is open to all who are interested in [i]objective[/i],
            scholarly discussion about these groups. However, any attempts to use
            this list to evangelize or proselytize will not be tolerated."

            Feeling confident that I could discuss the beliefs of the diverse
            groups of the Restoration with respect, despite my many disagreements
            with such groups. I am a rational person, who reads every message
            that has come through this group since I joined. Last summer, a
            similar problem occurred, and I simply ignored it, preferring not to
            get irritated over a simple little Internet group. But it is
            happening again, and I am beginning to find myself very upset with the
            disrespect that is directed towards the Salt Lake City-based Church of
            Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

            Why on earth would someone join a group that discusses the many facets
            of the Restoration movement, inculding churches far less "mainstream"
            than mine, and pick the largest group as a target of criticism?
            Nevermind the facts that there are many who even call churches as
            mainstream as the Community of Christ a cult (see
            http://www.help4rlds.com/). The LDS Church is also a part of the
            Restoration movement, and therefore we deserve to be treated with the
            same respect that all the other branches are treated in this little
            Yahoo! group. This is for intelligent discussion, not the the petty
            name calling that continually seems to get thrown out there.

            And to accuse my church as THE church of phalluses, innuendo, and
            abuse is absurd. One could easily draw such conclusions from any
            number of things from each of your organizations. Nor can we forget
            how very sexual the Israelites were, even collecting the foreskins of
            Philistines and such. We need no self-righteous self-promulgation
            here. We don't need people to draw unnecessary/innaccurate and
            supposedly sexual conclusions about the way we do things. We all
            worship "according to the dictates of our own conscience," and if you
            need a place to flame my religion, there are a number of other forums
            for your amusement elsewhere.

            I'm sorry if this seems a bit rash. Understand that I was caught in a
            very defensive mood. It's not like my "cult" hasn't a leg to stand
            on. I do my fair share of writing doctrinal treatises in better
            moods. But please, try to show the same respect towards my faith that
            I've shown for each of yours.