RE: [LDSgroups] Howard Hughes and the Mormon Will

  • Bill Russell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006

      Paul Edwards and I flew to Salt Lake City for the 1976 Mormon History Association meeting.  We stayed overnight with Church Historian Leonard Arrington.  The next day the MHA people got on three buses and headed south to the Mountain Meadows and then to St. George.  The night we arrived Leonard told Paul and I that the Mormon Will had been found in the Church History office that morning.  I had the impression that it was found in his office, but that may be wrong.

      The MHA people were all abuzz with talk about it as we drove to St. George that day.

      Leonard knew that Paul liked coffee so he bought a small jar of instant coffee for Paul, which he had hid in his cupboard.

      Leonard died about five years.  One of the nicest men I have ever known.

      Bill

      William D. Russell

      Professor of American History and Government

      Graceland University

      1 University Place

      Lamoni, IA 50140 USA

      641-784-5171