27088Science of Fiction 2014: Rilao Project - October 24-26

  • 5D | Institute
    Aug 25, 2014
      5D Institute | Email Blast!

      View in your browser

      Forward to a Friend     |     Share this on Facebook     |     Share this on Twitter

      5d News Blast
      5D Science of Fiction 2014 - Rilao Project - October 24-26

      BEFORE FICTION: THE FOREWORD

      IN THE BEGINNING THERE WAS RILAO, AND THEN THERE WAS NO RILAO. Now the mysterious city has finally returned to our world. To commemorate this historic world building event, the USC 5D Institute invites you to Rilao’s grand unveiling at the 2014 Science of Fiction festival. Through this weeklong narrative creation, we will form the creative narrative of the future. Through the Science of Fiction symposium, you will build a world in a day to see the future. Through the Space of Fiction exhibit, you will interact with Rilaoan artifacts of the past and future during a week. Through the Sound of Fiction concert, you will create the present music and visuals as you orchestrate our orchestra in a night. IN THE END THERE WILL BE A WORLD.

      BUY YOUR TICKET TO THE SCIENCE OF FICTION.

      The Main Event: The 5D Science of Fiction

      › › › › ›  THE SCIENCE OF FICTION IS A CUTTING-EDGE WORLD BUILDING FESTIVAL: AN ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL COLLABORATION WITH GLOBAL THOUGHT LEADERS FOR THE FUTURE OF STORYTELLING.

      LET US KNOW THE FUTURE
      BY INVESTIGATING THE PAST:

      THE WORLDWIDE EMBARGO HAS, AT LAST, BEEN LIFTED FROM RILAO! After a decade-long expedition, once believed to have vanished off the face of the earth, THE ANTHROPOLOGICAL CABARET HAS RETURNED! We are thrilled to announce that their first stop is here at THE SCIENCE OF FICTION FESTIVAL. Watch, hear, and learn as they showcase their excavation of Rilao, marking the first time the world will learn about the mysterious city.

      THE SCIENCE OF FICTION IS NOW.

      As in Minority Report—where the précogs
      predict the probable future—designing narrative world
      building is precognitive. This is the science in the art:
      we architect from and towards the future. We invite you
      to join this renowned collective of scientists, artists, and
      poets in the act and art of this discovery. In this
      international one-day investigation, the future of media
      and culture will be looked at under a microscope, then
      through a telescope; we look at the infinitesimal of the
      present to look towards the infinite future. We will
      learn the city, and cities will learn from us. We can
      burgeon the city with your involvement, shape its
      growth. And by this collaborative process of engaging,
      exploring, and interpreting, we can build worlds. We
      dare see cities this way. We dare cities to see this way.

      WE WILL START WITH FICTION;

      WE WILL END WITH FACTS.

      Enter into The Science of Fiction ›

      The Contextual Exhibit: The Space of Fiction

      › › › › ›  THE SPACE OF FICTION IS A WEEKLONG INTERACTIVE EXHIBIT OF RILAOAN MULTIMEDIA ARTIFACTS THAT CONTEXTUALIZE BOTH THE WORLD OF RILAO AND THE WORLD BUILDING FESTIVAL.

      THE LIVE UNVEILING OF RILAO!

      THE WAIT IS OVER!

      CRYPTOGRAPHERS, CURIO-SEEKERS, CREATORS;

      COME ONE, COME ALL!

      In this weeklong exhibit of recently unearthed RILAOAN artifacts, MORE DISCOVERIES WAIT TO BE EXPOSED! As Rilao enters the world arena, these rare objects of the past, the present and the future have both answered and raised questions for researchers in their piecemeal narrative of the mysterious city. Scientists remain uncertain about the analysis of the mystical objects, as the discovery is too recent to yield concrete exegeses. COULD YOU BE THE ONE TO PIERCE THE VEIL, PIECE RILAO TOGETHER? We display rare videos, texts, graphics, and oral presentations as a multimedia tapestry to be unraveled by your hands, its narratives revealed by your singular interpretations. YOU ARE WOVEN I N .

      INSPECT, INTERACT, AND INTUIT ACCORDINGLY.
       ENTER                  INTO IT

      An Invite into The Space of Fiction ›

      The Live Concert: The Sound of Fiction

      › › › › ›  THE SOUND OF FICTION is a live synchromedia event that presents a new form of LIVE immersion—CLUB CIRCULO—and visual music— THE SOUND AND VISION OF RILAO, one to be heard
      and seen.

      LET US ARCHITECT ART AND TECH—

      Welcome to Club Circulo,

      “Where the audience is the audio experience!”

      “And the visuals vis-à-vis the audience!”

      THIS IS A LIVE COLLABORATION: YOU MEDIATE US, OUR MEDIA. You stage the set. There is no audience. We are all participants. We collaborate, we deliver, we evolve the stage.

      The Rilaoan Immersive Musical Universe presents the future of sound

      brought to you
      by the 5D Institute,
      [namethemachine],
      LA’s premiere music/tech designers,
      & the legendary Glen Matlock,
      & You, truly—

      The Sound of Rilao is a SYNCHROMEDIA symphony; created by musicians playing with instruments and technology across platforms and disciplines. They react to the crowd's response and recreate the sound by looping back to reform and re-form it.

      The performance is not pre-formed; it is a collaborative feedback loop. The performance is continually in flux by its interactions with the crowd. Here at Club Circulo, light follows sound, follows you. Via spatialized sound and image mapping, light and sound beams are modeled and changed based on your gestures and dance movements. Thus you are our conductor, our choreographer.

      —LET US EVOLVE LIVE MUSIC INTO LIVING MUSIC

      The New Sound of Rilao ›

      Become A Sponsor Partner in The Science of Fiction

      5D is a non-profit Institute, founded and funded since 2007 with thanks to our many esteemed sponsor partners. We are open to opportunities for more collaboration, and welcome your partnership. Email us.

      CURRENT 2014 WORLD SPONSORS, AND RISING!

      Autodesk logo Intel logoSteelcase logo Wondros logo

      CONNECT WITH 5D     5D ON TUMBLR   5D ON VIMEO   5D ON TWITTER   5D ON FACEBOOK   5D ON LINKEDIN   5D ON FLICKR

      5D BLAST is edited by Alex McDowell and designed by Matchbox Creative.

      © 2014, 5D | The Future of Immersive Design.
      5D Institute is an Organized Research Unit within the USC School of Cinematic Arts. It is a non-profit organization dedicated to the education and dissemination of World Building.

      We are a group of designers, scientists, artists and educators who like learning about seeing about creating better worlds.

      5D thanks USC for their continued support.

      5D Home Page  |  Sign up for Newsletter  |  Email Us  |  Events  |  People