Early for Cedar waxwings?

  • mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1 9:39 AM
      Just heard a ear-full of Cedar waxwings in Griffith Park early this morning. It is early to see (or hear) them this early in the season?
      Mike Clark
      Griffith Park (LA Zoo)
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1 11:23 AM
        Mike,

        I too had some early Cedar Waxwings, with two at Chet Huffman Park in Baker on Aug 30 and another along the Santa Ana River in Norco on Aug 31. Per the bar graphs in Garrett and Dunn (1981) (a book well worth hunting for in used bookstores, even after all these years), waxwings are casual in August and rare throughout the month of September. The more recent "San Diego County Bird Atlas" (2004) (another book well worth owning, although pricey) says that "in some years a few appear in the first week of September." It seems to me that the status of this species is changing, as birds are appearing more regularly in early September, and now even in late August.

        Jim Pike
        Hunt Bch/E Mojave