vagrant season begins@peck pit

  • Andrew Lee
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi LA Birders,

      I had a small window to bird this morning and chose to
      go to Peck Rd Water Conservation Park(damn I go here
      often) in the Arcadia, El Monte area after my brother,
      Joey told me he had seen a Black and White Warbler
      there on Monday. The bird was still there
      today(Thurs). A nice adult male, it was creeping
      along a willow tree next to the dried out channel.
      Just south of this area, there is a grassy weedy area
      where a bunch of Lazuli Buntings and Blue Grosbeaks
      like to forage in the mornings. While observing this
      flock I saw a bunting with a bright red breast/belly
      and a red rump in flight. This bird was a real sulker
      but finally popped his head and upper body long enough
      for me to enjoy a male Painted Bunting. Whether this
      bird is a true vagrant or an escapee, it was nice to
      see.

      good birding
      Andrew

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
        At 10:56 AM 8/1/02 -0700, you wrote:
        >Hi LA Birders,
        >
        >While observing this
        >flock I saw a bunting with a bright red breast/belly
        >and a red rump in flight. This bird was a real sulker
        >but finally popped his head and upper body long enough
        >for me to enjoy a male Painted Bunting.

        Andrew:

        Good work!

        Please write up a detailed description of the Painted Bunting and
        get it to me for NAB and the CBRC. Assessing records of this
        escape-prone species (which is also documented as a frequent natural
        vagrant) can only be done if can paint a complete picture of
        occurrences by getting details of all sightings, no matter how high
        the escape potential seems to be. Although the CBRC has thus far
        frowned on all records from the urban Los Angeles region (some
        because of inadequate documentation, others because of dates outside
        the vagrant "window") it is obvious that "good" vagrant Painted Buntings
        must get her with some regularity.

        The beginning of August is neatly within the window for fall vagrancy in
        this species (buntings can be common in fall migration by mid-July), and
        it is perhaps not surprising that an adult would be at the early end of
        the fall date range. So this may well be a natural vagrant.

        Kimball
        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.