Cabrillo Pier and White Point Birds, Fri., Jan. 1, 2010

  • calbirdgirl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2010
      Happy New Year, Birders! I thought I would start the new year by getting a new bird on my list, so went down to Cabrillo Pier to see the King Eider. As previously reported, the bird was there and not shy. It appears to be hanging loosely with a small group of Surf Scoters. Quite a few birders showed up while I was there to have looks.

      I then headed north to White Point. Not much activity. Was hoping to see some turnstones. Numerous gulls, but I can only tell the Heerman's and Westerns with any confidence.

      It was sunny and quite warm, with a developing cloud cover that eventually cut the heat. A pretty stiff breeze also came up.

      At White Point and vicinity:

      Red-tailed Hawk (2)
      American Kestrel (1)
      Common Raven (2)
      Yellow-rumped Warbler (they were gorging themselves on the flies swarming over the dried wrack) (10)
      Snowy Egret (3) one was sitting around a tidepool, the other two were flying north over water.
      Surf Scoter (2)
      Black Oystercatcher (8)

      I used to go to White Point a lot as a kid growing up in Torrance and I never recall seeing egrets there. We are talking about 50 years ago, so many things could have changed. (Man, that feels weird saying that!)

      On a separate matter: Still not too late to join my group for the UCLA Bird count on Sunday. If interested, shoot me an email.

      Here's to a year of great birding!

      Linda Navroth
      Culver City