Ferruginous Hawk, Playa Del Rey/Ballona continues 11-30-09

  • jon
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2009
      The Ferruginous Hawk on the edge of Playa Del Rey on the El Segundo/LAX Dunes continues and was seen on utility poles from Waterview west of Pershing at close to 2pm on Monday. The hawk then flew to a utility pole closer to Pershing then sighting a Red-tailed Hawk to the north over Playa Del Rey the Ferruginous Hawk calling took off into that direction and out of sight. Shortly after at around 2:30p I ran into a couple at the Ballona FWM along Jefferson who told me they had just seen the Ferruginous Hawk being harassed by a Red-tailed Hawk along the top of the west bluffs west of Lincoln. Also along the top of the west bluffs at once Hastings Canyon I sighted a Loggerhead Shrike resting on a naked shrub.

      While I was on Jefferson 2 masked Vector Control workers were walking through the field off near the Gas Company spraying insecticide with leafblower type backpacks while Meadowlarks and a lone Juvenile Northern Harrier were escaping their paths.

      Jonathan Coffin
      Inglewood, Ca