Fwd: Hanson Dam clearing

  • Thomas Miko
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2002
      > If you guys want to do something about the
      >clearing at Hanson Dam, you have to talk to
      >the Army Corps of Engineers. Kimball, you

      All,
      I called the phone number at that I posted two days ago
      [(213)452-3908], and wound up leaving a voice mail on the answering machine
      of a lady whose name I have already forgotten, who is their PR person. In
      my message that I left, I stated why I was calling, and gave my work and
      home phone numbers. I have not heard back, yet.
      Thomas Miko (Mikó Tamás)
      2445 Oswego Street
      Pasadena, CA 91107

      home: (626) 793-2133
      page: (310) 366-9990
      cell: (626) 390-1935

      thomasmiko@...
      thomas_miko@...

      http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/birdsofhungary

    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2002
        L. A. Birders:

        Re: Hansen Dam clearing by Army Corps.

        I heard from Carvel Bass of the L. A. Army Corps office
        and should perhaps apologize for a bit of hyperbole. They
        are indeed running a lot of heavy equipment along an existing
        dirt road, not "bulldozing a swath" as I believe I put it.

        However, this heavy equipment is widening the road a bit
        and impacting some upland (mulefat) habitat within
        Bell's Vireo territories. Also, the impacts of large-scale
        use of heavy equipment within 50-100 feet of known Bell's
        Vireo territories are still of concern to me (especially at
        this sensitive stage when they are early in the nesting
        process).

        The work at the west end of the main lake is apparently supposed
        to eventually result in increased shallow water and riparian
        habitat there, but I know no details about the ultimate plan.
        An area of cattails has been eliminated, with some impact on
        yellowthroats, Song Sparrows, and blackbirds.

        We should be vigilant about habitat quality at Hansen Dam,
        assisting the Corps and other agencies as appropriate, but
        also making sure their activities don't have negative impacts.

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.