Echo Park today

  • Judith Raskin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2009
      Sunday, Jan. 1, 2009

      The year got off to a good start when I counted 21 species in about 2 hours of birding today. Mostly birds I expected to see at the lake, but there were two treats.

      At least 20 Vaux's swifts, darting around the lake, staying mostly near the Boathouse area. The first I time I saw them here was on the 2008 CBC, just about a year ago, and then only one.

      Also to my surprise, two broods of Mallard ducks, one a group of 10 and the other of 6. Seems a little early for breeding activity. Is this unusual or common?

      Judy Raskin
      Echo Park