Spring Arrivals

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
      L. A. Birders:

      Just to get the ball rolling on spring arrival dates around L. A. County
      (apart from things like Swainson's Hawks, swallows, Rufous Hummingbirds,
      Pac.-slope Flycatchers, Western Kingbirds, Warbling Vireos, orioles, etc.
      that have been around for quite a while), I offer the following......

      Black-chinned Hummingbird in Tujunga, Saturday, 30 March
      Lazuli Bunting at Orcas Park, Lake View Terrace, today, 2 April

      It wouldn't harm anything to post similar first dates from your
      forays around the county (those who only need to know about "good
      birds" can hit the old delete key).

      Kimball
      *****************************
      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager
      900 Exposition Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
      (213) 763-3368
      (213) 746-2999 FAX
      kgarrett@...
      *****************************
    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
        At 12:34 PM 2002-04-02 -0800, Kimball Garrett wrote:
        >Just to get the ball rolling on spring arrival dates around L. A. County
        >(apart from things like Swainson's Hawks, swallows, Rufous Hummingbirds,
        >Pac.-slope Flycatchers, Western Kingbirds, Warbling Vireos, orioles, etc.
        >that have been around for quite a while), I offer the following......

        Good idea, Kimball. Yesterday, 4/1, there was an adult male Black-headed
        Grosbeak at Descanso Gardens in La Cañada.

        Good birding,
        Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

        10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34*09'02" N, 118*22'47" W
        SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
      • Ron Cyger
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2002
          LA Birders,

          Speaking of Spring arrivals, I had my first Ash-throated Flycatcher south
          of De Forest Park along the LA River.

          Ron

          Ron Cyger
          Pasadena Audubon Society