Update on Mourning Warbler at Sepulveda Basin, Van Nuys

  • Jon L Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      hi LA Co Birders,

      John DeModena was able to relocate the January 28 MOURNING WARBLER on Tuesday (January 31) near where it was first seen.

      (I tried to post this message yesterday but it bounced back)

      The bird was initially found bathing in the stream at mid-morning (9:00-10:00) on both occasions.

      The location of the bird yesterday was at the first metal bridge (west of the main pathway) after you enter the Wildlife Preserve from the north. This is about 400 feet south of the dirt parking area. The paved access road to this parking area runs east from Woodley between Burbank and Victory.

      This location is downstream about 250 feet from where it was first seen on Jan 28 (near the concrete bridge).

      John was able to take a digital photo which is not in and of itself diagnostic, but in combination with what I saw of the bird on Jan. 28, the bird appears to be a female Mourning Warbler.

      Jon Fisher
      Glendale, CA