Dunes and Jetty (HAFL, SWTH, PECO)

  • walteralamb
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      At MB Sand Dune Park a Hammond's Flycatcher (assuming the short,
      notched tail rules out dusky) was foraging conspicuously from the
      rail along the main path past the silk oak close to the far stairway.

      http://www.lifelist2004.com/05photos.asp?bird=hammondsflycatcher

      A Swainson's Thrush would often jump onto the path at the same area,
      and I was able to study the field marks offered up in response to an
      earlier post.

      http://www.lifelist2004.com/05photos.asp?bird=swainsonsthrush

      At the middle Ballona jetty, many Surbirds and turnstones and this
      Wandering Tattler:

      http://www.lifelist2004.com/05photos.asp?bird=wanderingtattler

      Also, Black Oystercatchers and a Pelagic Cormorant (juvenile?) inside
      the pedestrian bridge.

      http://www.lifelist2004.com/05photos.asp?bird=blackoystercatcher
      http://www.lifelist2004.com/05photos.asp?bird=pelagiccormorant

      Bumped into Mark Conrad, Barbara (Johnson?) and Bob Pann during the
      day.

      Corrections or comments always welcome.

      Walter Lamb
      Culver City
    • Thomas Miko
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2005
        Okay, so how many of us photographed that poor Tattler, today??? No wonder
        he got so jumpy when I kept trying to take his picture!
        The Ruddy Turnstones look fabulous right now, and the Surfbirds' bill base
        is redder than you'd believe.
        Who do I email my photos of the dark Western Gull with 3 color leg bands to?

        Ran into Martin Byhower at Sand Dune Park around 10:30 a.m., between us we
        had "all the empids". I had a Willow Flycatcher sitting out in the open,
        first bird I saw when I arrived. Pacific-slopes, one obvious Hammond's, and
        a really-hard-to- i.d. Hammond's with a bright yellow belly, and a vest.
        Also I had a Dusky, and I'm not sure but I think Martin had a Gray. Throw
        in 1 or 2 W Wood Pewees.
        When I first got to Sand Dune, I kept circling past the two 13 year old
        girls with cell phones who had decided that the perfect place to hide out
        for them was under the pepper trees above the middle walkway. Great. If I
        had gone in there and joined them, I could have enjoyed the rest of the day
        at police headquarters explaining that they were on "my territory" (and
        every other LA Birders'), at the site of previous Black-throat Blue, Black &
        White Warblers, Ovenbird, etc...Do they serve Starbucks at the Manhattan
        Beach Police Department?
        Besides, didn't want to deal with angry rich people who suddenly realized
        that they need to protect Princess from the fat guy with binoculars and a
        camera.
        At least 2 races of Orange-crowned Warblers, one singing Townsend's, a
        female Lazuli Bunting in the grevillea (silk oak) with the numerous
        Black-headed Grosbeaks and W Tanagers. Also, at least 2 Swainson's
        Thrushes. I know I'm forgetting something, here.
        Thomas Geza Miko
        653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., #C
        Claremont, CA 91711
        USA
        home (909) 445-1456
        cell (626) 390-1935
        work (323) 226-7855
        > At MB Sand Dune Park a Hammond's Flycatcher (assuming the short,
        > notched tail rules out dusky) was foraging conspicuously from the
        > rail along the main path past the silk oak close to the far stairway.
        >
        > http://www.lifelist2004.com/05photos.asp?bird=hammondsflycatcher
        >
        > A Swainson's Thrush would often jump onto the path at the same area,
        > and I was able to study the field marks offered up in response to an
        > earlier post.
        >
        > http://www.lifelist2004.com/05photos.asp?bird=swainsonsthrush
        >
        > At the middle Ballona jetty, many Surbirds and turnstones and this
        > Wandering Tattler:
        >
        > http://www.lifelist2004.com/05photos.asp?bird=wanderingtattler
        >
        > Also, Black Oystercatchers and a Pelagic Cormorant (juvenile?) inside
        > the pedestrian bridge.
        >
        > http://www.lifelist2004.com/05photos.asp?bird=blackoystercatcher
        > http://www.lifelist2004.com/05photos.asp?bird=pelagiccormorant
        >
        > Bumped into Mark Conrad, Barbara (Johnson?) and Bob Pann during the
        > day.
        >
        > Corrections or comments always welcome.
        >
        > Walter Lamb
        > Culver City