Yellow-chevroned Parakeets

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
      Birders:

      I greatly appreciate the efforts of those who have been sending me
      sightings of Brotogeris parakeets in California (all reports so far this
      year have been of Yellow-chevroneds, with no White-wingeds). I already
      have 37 sightings in the 2005 database from January alone. In another
      month or so I'll post a summary of the sightings I've received to date.

      Surprisingly, I've received no reports from outside of Los Angeles
      County, except for a single report from San Francisco. I've also
      received no reports from the southern part of Los Angeles County (and
      adjacent Orange County), where populations were apparently thriving
      earlier. Assuming that an occasional reminder might result in more
      thorough reporting, I once again ask for reports of all sightings of
      Yellow-chevroned and White-winged Parakeets in California during 2005.

      An outline of the data I'm requesting is repeated below. Please forward
      this to relevant local listserves (e.g. in Orange County).

      Thanks,

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager

      900 Exposition Blvd.

      Los Angeles CA 90007

      (213) 763-3368

      (213) 746-2999 FAX

      kgarrett@...

      During the calendar year 2005, please e-mail me sightings of
      Yellow-chevroned Parakeets (and of White-winged Parakeets if you run
      across any) in the following format:

      YOUR NAME/CONTACT INFO [presumably in e-mail signature]

      SPECIES: Yellow-chevroned Parakeet [or....]

      DATE:

      TIME OF DAY:

      EXACT LOCATION [be specific - street intersection or address, park name,
      etc.]

      NUMBER OF BIRDS IN FLOCK:

      FLYING? DIRECTION?

      FEEDING? [TREE SPECIES? FOOD TYPE?]

      NESTING? [give details]

      OTHER BEHAVIOR:

      ANY OTHER NOTES OF INTEREST:

      DOCUMENTATION [If you can obtain photos, feel free to send them]

      Please DO NOT e-mail me directly with routine sightings of other parrots

      - you can continue reporting them through the California Parrot Project
      web site:

      http://natureali.org/parrot_project/Parrot_Project.html

    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2006
        L. A. Birders,

        Thanks to the many of you who sent me sightings of Yellow-chevroned
        Parakeets throughout the year in 2005. I have some 430 reports from
        2005 in my database; the majority of these are from areas of regular
        occurrence such as Huntington Gardens, Cal Tech, Exposition Park, and
        Sepulveda Basin, but sightings range west to Northridge, Van Nuys,
        Westwood, and Inglewood, north to Lake View Terrace, Altadena and
        Arcadia, east to El Monte and Whittier, and south to Long Beach, Rancho
        Palos Verdes, and Redondo Beach. I also have reports from San Francisco
        and some possible sightings in Orange County (Garden Grove).

        All of your reports have been invaluable. I'm especially appreciative of
        the regular reports from some of the areas above that allow us to look a
        bit at seasonality of occurrence. In Exposition Park, for example,
        there is a clear peak in numbers from September to February - this is
        probably best explained by the availability of Chorisia ("silk-floss
        tree") seed pods during that period, but may also reflect a
        spring/summer breeding period when flock size decreases and bird
        scatter.

        I hope to work with Karen Mabb to get some maps of Yellow-chevroned
        distribution up on the California Parrot Project web site:
        <www.parrotproject.org <http://www.parrotproject.org/> > We will let
        you know when something is available.

        Now for the part you're dreading..... I would be delighted if you could
        keep sending me YCPA reports this year as well - this will help us
        continue tracking range expansion and get a better sense of seasonality
        of occurrence in various areas. Just e-mail me sightings (as they
        happen, or in occasional batches) as you've been doing. You can also
        submit sightings to eBird, but the extra detail I get from your direct
        reports (exact time, behavior, food source, direction of flight, etc.)
        is very helpful.

        Thanks,

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett

        Ornithology Collections Manager

        900 Exposition Blvd.

        Los Angeles CA 90007

        (213) 763-3368

        (213) 746-2999 FAX

        kgarrett@...

      • Alex Viduetsky
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2011
          Hello birders,
          Thanks to Tommye Hite and Lori & Mark Conrad, I found and photographed
          Yellow-chevroned Parakeets in Hermosa Beach.
          Initially, we stopped by the Conrad's house but the Parakeets were not there at
          that moment. Then Tommye Hite led me to
          Hermosa Beach, where we found the Parakeets in the palm trees by the pier.
          We also spotted a few Red-throated Loons, Western and Eared Grebes from the
          pier.
          Here's the link to some of my today's photos:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/33691985@N08/sets/72157626079722869/show/

          Good birding,
          Alexander Viduetsky
          Valley Village, CA