Los Angles 12-31-2004

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      Happy New Year!

      Birded yesterday, 12-31-2004, around wet Los Angeles County.

      The north section of El Dorado Park in Long Beach yielded among others an
      Osprey, a female Common Merganser (Goldeneye was hoped for), numerous
      Allen's Hummingbirds, several Cassin's Kingbirds, and a hand-full of
      Great-tailed Grackles. At the first pond at opposite sides of the pond
      there was one dead Brown Pelican and one dead Double-crested Cormorant.

      I also failed in refinding the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at Santa Fe Dam in
      Irwindale. I did find 20 Pine Siskins (new county bird) in the trees near
      lifeguard station number 4. Among the domestic geese near parking lot
      number 4 I did manage to find one Cackling Goose and three Greater
      White-fronted Geese that came in very close to examine my intrusion. Here
      too there was a number of Cassin's Kingbirds. Most interesting was the
      group of about 40 Double-crested Cormorants feeding together as though there
      were practicing for a synchronized swimming event. It almost reminded me of
      dolphins swimming ahead of the bow of a boat on several pelagic trips I had
      been on in the past.

      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County