Fall Season Reports for North American Birds

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      L. A. County Birders:

      The FALL season for North American Birds has just ended; this is the
      long and busy season that includes all of August, September, October and
      November.

      Please send me your reports from Los Angeles County for the period 1
      August to 30 November by 15 December at the latest. These reports may
      include rarities and vagrants (with appropriate documentation, please),
      notes on scarce and declining species, unusual numbers or early/late
      dates, numbers and waves of migrants, irruptions (this has been a good
      fall for many irruptive species), etc.

      A number of rarities have been reported on LACoBirds and other venues
      through the fall, but it is my experience that such records often are
      not submitted to me or are submitted without documentation. Please err
      on the side of inclusion - get me as much information as you can. And
      please send rarity descriptions/documentation even if you know others
      saw/found the bird.

      Incidentally, I would like to publicly thank Bob and Darlene Johnson for
      their help with the Los Angeles County bird record files here at the
      Natural History Museum. Records from these files of quarterly seasonal
      reports based on your sightings are being entered by Bob and Darlene
      into an Access database and will ultimately be available and searchable
      here at the museum (and perhaps ultimately on-line); documentation you
      have submitted is also archived here at the museum (or with the CBRC if
      a California review list species).

      I look forward to receiving your L. A. County reports.

      Thanks,

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager