Antelope valley

  • Mikael Rosén
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004
      Dear all,

      I ended the winter season (Feb 29) with a visit to Antelope valley to look
      for some of the good winter birds previously reported. The following might
      be of interest:

      MOUNTAIN PLOVER. At least 16 individuals on avenue M approx 300 meters
      (that is 900 feet I belive) west of the 50th E street intersection. Birds
      were seen at 3 PM. They were all in the same flock on a field with stubble.
      I only found this habitat in this very region and guess the plovers might
      not move too far from here.

      ROUGH-LEGGED BUZZARD. 1 was hovering at the mountain plover (east of 50th E
      street) location in the late morning hours, not visible in the afternoon. I
      do belive this is a good CA bird, in Sweden however, it is very common...

      No mountain bluebirds were to be found... But 1-2 Ferruginous hawks (light
      morph, adult) were at avenue I between 110 and 120 E street.

      Since I have never seen a Le Conte's Thrasher I had big plans to find one
      at the "site 1" given in Shram's "A birder's guide to Southern CA"... (ave
      O and 10th W street). However, as it turned out all the habitat between the
      Country club and avenue O has been demolished due to construction and will
      never again hold thrashers of any kind... This is of course sad and I hope
      there are more sites nearby that just has not been pointed out so that the
      poor birds can find a new home.

      Also, if there is anyone out there with knowledge of a good (and still
      intact) site to see these birds I would very much appreciate the directions.

      Cheers,

      Mikael Rosén
      Culver City
      310 309 9557
    • Mikael Rosén

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2004
          Mikael and LACoBirders,

          Here are the current directions:

          From SR-14, exit Ave. P. Go east to Division St., which is the first
          street on the north side of Ave. P east of the housing developments.
          Division does not go south of Ave. P, and there is no traffic signal. Go
          north on Division. Cross Ave. O and continue north onto the dirt road. Turn
          left at the second or third dirt road and go almost to the western end of
          the Joshua Trees and start listening.

          Best time to go is late January through early March, early in the morning,
          when the birds are up and singing.

          At 09:55 AM 2004-03-01 -0800, Mikael Rosén wrote:
          >Since I have never seen a Le Conte's Thrasher I had big plans to find one
          >at the "site 1" given in Shram's "A birder's guide to Southern CA"... (ave
          >O and 10th W street). However, as it turned out all the habitat between the
          >Country club and avenue O has been demolished due to construction and will
          >never again hold thrashers of any kind... This is of course sad and I hope
          >there are more sites nearby that just has not been pointed out so that the
          >poor birds can find a new home.
          >
          >Also, if there is anyone out there with knowledge of a good (and still
          >intact) site to see these birds I would very much appreciate the directions.

          Good birding,

          Steve Sosensky, SoCA Bird Guides www.sosensky.com/guides/
          <mailto:steve@...> for general use
          <mailto:mobile@...> rare birds and emergencies only
          Toluca Lake, CA 91602 818-508-4946 34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
          www.SoCalAudubon.org/socal/ www.SanFernandoValleyAudubon.org/sfvas/
          SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22