Stilt Sandpipers in Lancaster

  • Kumaran Arulanantham
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi all. On a brief trip down to LACO I managed a few stops at the
      "ponds" at Ave. G and Hwy 14 in Lancaster. On Saturday (8/30), I was
      lucky to run into Todd McGrath, who proceeded to point out a STILT
      SANDPIPER and a SOLITARY SANDPIPER. Today, I returned to the same spot
      with Alan Brown and we were able to refind a Juvenile Stilt Sandpiper
      plus another one for a grand total of TWO! We also had (1) BAIRD'S
      SANDPIPER there and the nicest number and variety (15 species) of
      shorebirds I've seen this fall. At the South Branch Sewage Ponds on
      Edwards AFB we had (8) more BAIRD'S.

      It may be worth mentioning to those heading out to the base that while
      attempting to get to the Duck's Unlimited Ponds this morning we ran into
      a number of hunters taking advantage of opening day of the dove season.
      It apparently runs for the next fifteen days (?). So, it may be best to
      check with the base before heading out.

      Cheers,

      Kumaran Arul
      Santa Cruz, CA
    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
        L. A. Birders:

        To repeat what I mentioned in my Bird Box message yesterday morning (1
        September), there are now two juv. Stilt Sandpipers at the "G Spot" -- the
        shallow retention basin along the east side of the Antelope Valley (14)
        Freeway between Ave. G and Ave. H. Other birds there included a Baird's
        Sandpiper, 9 White-faced Ibis, 3 Snowy Plovers, 25 Lesser Yellowlegs, 150
        Wilson's Phalaropes, and lots of other shorebirds, egrets, etc. The ponds
        sure look ripe for a Buff-breasted Sandpiper.

        The pond is accessed along the east side, which is a dirt extension of 20th
        Street West -- go north about halfway up the ponds and look for an obvious
        break in the fence. I ran into two other birders who had spent a good deal
        of time looking for the spot off Division Street because of previous
        incorrect directions.

        Otherwise, pretty good numbers of landbird migrants at various tree groves
        in the valley, including multiple Willow Flycatchers and Black-chinned
        Hummingbirds at every stop.

        -- Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
        213-763-3368
        213-746-2999 FAX
        kgarrett@...
      • D. Heindel
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
          Hi Kimball and all,

          you wrote:

          > Stilt Sandpipers at the "G Spot" -- the
          > shallow retention basin along the east side of the Antelope Valley (14)
          > Freeway between Ave. G and Ave. H.

          Thanks for this...
          apparently I had been looking for it
          in all the wrong places.......

          Mandatory bird content....
          There was an adult Solitary Sandpiper in the
          mitigation site on the east side of Harbor Pk.
          Saturday, as well as 21 Red-neck Phals on the lake.

          best all,
          Mitch - Torrance,
          Mitch Heindel
          birdfish@...