Summer 2012 Los Angeles County bird reports for NAB

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2012
      Scary but true... yet another reporting season for North American Birds has come to a close. So I am soliciting your bird sightings in Los Angeles County for the Summer 2012 period (1 June to 31 July). I am especially interested in information on scarce, poorly known, increasing, or decreasing breeding species, but all noteworthy sightings should be reported (including "fall" shorebird migrants, late spring vagrants not reported in the spring season, and anything else of interest).

      I try to go through listserves and eBird reports, but that is time consuming and not always efficient. It is very helpful to me if you can send your noteworthy observations in a summary report, with documentation when required. A few of you do this regularly, and I am very grateful. Many others among you are out there making significant observations in the county but I never hear directly from you. Please try to submit reports, and as the Fall season (1 August to 30 November) begins, consider organizing your notes and documentation in a way that will make it easier to submit a fall report in December.

      Thanks,

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager
      900 Exposition Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
      213-763-3368
      kgarrett@...
      http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/ornithology

    • Don
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2012
        Wed 1 Aug

        I suspect there are two basic types of birders who would consider sending in seasonal reports, dedicated procrastinators such as I who wait until the last couple of days before the deadline to assemble notes, and those who plan ahead (e.g. Richard Barth) and update their report-worthy notes after every outing. If you fall into the lazy bum category, welcome to my world, and here are some notes to help prepare your seasonal report:

        Some of my recent, early fall migrants/wanderers in the west end of the LA Basin (for my seasonal report):
        White-breasted Nuthatch near the east-end lawn of The Village Green on Aug 1.
        Marsh Wren singing at the Playa Vista Riparian Corridor on July 30.
        Western Tanager (2) and a Warbling Vireo at The Village Green on July 29.

        Don Sterba
        Culver City