Vaux's Swifts @ Union Station

  • Desert Iguana
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2012
      Birders,

      I have been riding the Metrolink train from Claremont to LA Union Station for around 8 years. Every spring and fall a large flock of hundreds--sometimes thousands of Vaux's Swifts shows up at the metrolink train bridge over the LA River for 2 to 7 days. Not this year: I haven't had my annual flock of Vaux's. Still needed them for a year bird, and now I might have to wait until the fall.
      So I called up Kimball at work, this afternoon, to ask him about this, and he said that nobody has had big flocks, anywhere.
      Well, two hours after I called Kimball, as I crossed the river I looked out the window just for the heck of it, and there was a small flock of maybe 50 Vaux's Swifts, mixed with 2 or 3 species of swallows.
      Aaaaargh....
      Thomas Miko (Mi'ko' Tama's)
      Claremont, Los Angeles County, California

      "Nothing is impossible until you start to think about it."--Captain Pirate