One-time Request For Information: Ballona Restoration

  • walteralamb
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2012
      PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE GROUP

      Fellow bird watchers - Most of us are likely aware that a major restoration project has been proposed for the Ballona Wetlands, one of the most important areas for birds in Los Angeles. This is a significant project that will alter the current habitat mix. I am researching this project plan for a small non-profit with which I am affiliated so that we can objectively and independently articulate the potential pros and cons to our members. I have read through all of the documents on the project web site (www.ballonarestoration.org) and have been in contact with the Santa Monica Bay Restoration Commission (SMBRC) but I am still seeking answers to several questions that I am hoping members of this forum might be able to provide.

      Specifically, I am interested in:

      - Any species level impact assessments, especially for birds but also for other plants and wildlife if available. I already have the Baseline Monitoring Report which records what species were found to be present currently, but I'm interested in any research or even just informed commentary about which species stand to increase or decline as a result of the current plan.

      - Any studies of pollution in the creek and projected impact, if any, of allowing creek water to flow directly into the wetlands.

      - Any official or unofficial positions of the various local Audubon Society chapters as to how well this project aligns with their missions. Any supporting information would also be appreciated.

      I encourage interested parties to subscribe to the project newsletter by e-mailing Elena Tuttle at etuttle@... with the subject line E-newsletter listserve. Please copy me on that e-mail or e-mail me separately if you are interested in this topic and would like access to whatever information is shared with me in response to this e-mail.

      Again, please respond off-line only.

      Thanks,

      Walter Lamb
      Culver City