Common Grackles at EMJRA

  • Kevin Larson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2002
      Greetings,

      Today, 31 Dec, I saw at least one of the 3 Common Grackles that were
      present yesterday a few times between 0815 and 0930 (with the
      Great-tailed Grackles) at Earvin "Magic" Johnson Recreation Area (EMJRA)
      in Willowbrook. EMJRA is so. of the 105 fwy and east of the 110 fwy.
      Park in the lot off Avalon Blvd. just to the north of El Segundo Blvd.
      Look near the fenced edge of the lake near the parking lot, especially
      where there are some picnic tables with wood awnings that are near some
      pine trees. Grackles are often moving in and out of the park. The bird
      today seemed to be content to sit hidden in trees for long periods, and
      probably leaves the park sometimes.

      There were 15 or so Vaux's Swifts, often with White-throateds over the lake.

      Kevin Larson
    • Kevin Larson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
        Hi,

        I tried to send this yesterday, but it didn't get through. My apologies
        if it comes up twice.

        Kevin Larson

        Kevin Larson wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > Today, 31 Dec, I saw at least one of the 3 Common Grackles that were
        > present yesterday a few times between 0815 and 0930 (with the
        > Great-tailed Grackles) at Earvin "Magic" Johnson Recreation Area (EMJRA)
        > in Willowbrook. EMJRA is so. of the 105 fwy and east of the 110 fwy.
        > Park in the lot off Avalon Blvd. just to the north of El Segundo Blvd.
        > Look near the fenced edge of the lake near the parking lot, especially
        > where there are some picnic tables with wood awnings that are near some
        > pine trees. Grackles are often moving in and out of the park. The bird
        > today seemed to be content to sit hidden in trees for long periods, and
        > probably leaves the park sometimes.
        >
        > There were 15 or so Vaux's Swifts, often with White-throateds over the lake.
        >
        > Kevin Larson
      • Kevin Larson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
          Carol Selvey and I had one Common Grackle there this morning, 1 Jan, at
          0830. It came in and stayed just a short time. This fits the pattern of
          3 consecutive days now of one being there in the morning between 0815
          and 0930.

          I have not been back in the late afternoon since I had 3 together there
          on 30 Dec at 1630. This would be a good time to look as well.

          Kevin Larson