15770Lewis's Woodpeckers continue at Wilson Canyon Park, Sylmar

  • Joyce Waterman
    Apr 13 4:53 PM
      Hello Birders ~ Our first visit to this quite secluded, quiet wilderness park at 8:30-12 this morning (4/13) yielded good looks of at least 3 Lewis’s Woodpeckers (2 adults, 1 juv) flying overhead and perching, as well as Lazuli Buntings, Black-headed Grosbeaks, a not-so-secretive Rufous-crowned Sparrow singing from the dry sage-scrub hillside above the path, Ash-throated Flycatchers and many of the usual oak woodland varieties. There are picnic tables among the Oak grove with clean portable bathrooms.  The canyon is beautiful.  Very birdy.  Peaceful.  We paid the $5 and parked at the trail-head which was well worth it.  A foothills gem.

      Joyce Waterman
      Santa Monica