15215Playa del Rey birds: Black-throated Green Warbler, Cattle Egret, etc.

  • John Oliver
    Nov 25, 2013
      Birders,

      Today I spent the morning in Playa del Rey looking for whatever birds I could find. I started at Ballona Freshwater Marsh, specifically looking for the male BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER in the cottonwood trees in front of the Playa Vista apartment complex across the street from the marsh on Lincoln Ave., alongside Lynda Elkin and Brittany O'Connor; after about an hour, the warbler finally showed (a lifer for Brittany and I), and Lynda managed to snap a few photos. Here's a link to one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97734296@N08/11057441133/

      Not long afterward, while traveling along Ballona Creek, I found a CATTLE EGRET associating with other birds on the metal platform just west of the Lincoln Ave. bridge (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56431656@N06/11059294674/). Further down the creek were two "BLACK" BRANT (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56431656@N06/11059174085/), and closer to the bridge nearest the ocean was a continuing COMMON LOON. There were also five RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS about a third of the way down the creek (from Lincoln Ave.) as I was walking back; the Cattle Egret and Brant had disappeared by then.

      Despite my diligent searching, I was only able to see one continuing BLUE-FOOTED BOOBY on the breakwater (at the south end), though at least two have persisted lately. A massive flock (estimated at 150+) of WESTERN GREBES was in the harbor on the north side of Ballona Creek, and a group of 13 SURF SCOTERS was also nearshore. ROYAL TERNS are starting to outnumber the ELEGANTS, and I also gave the gull flocks on the beach and at Del Rey Lagoon Park thorough searches, but only the usual suspects were there (WESTERN, CALIFORNIA, RING-BILLED, and HEERMANN's GULLS).

      Good birding!
      John Oliver
      La Crescenta, CA