15208Ferruginous Hawk(!), La Mirada Creek Park

  • themrbubby00mjf
    Nov 25, 2013
      This morning (7 am to 7:45 am on 11/25/13), I spent 45 minutes waiting in the Eucalyptus Grove at Creek Park to see if the Dusky-capped Flycatcher had returned for the winter.

      While waiting, I was absolutely shocked (to put it mildly) to have a light morph adult FERRUGINOUS HAWK fly overhead.  It was gliding low over the trees traveling east and quickly passed out of view.  It was unfortunately a very short look.  I can't imagine what it was doing there or that it will stick around.

      There was an empid in the trees there (top of the hill along the property line), as well.  It looked like a HAMMOND'S to me.  There was also a continuing WILSON'S WARBLER in the lower park by the last bridge before Biola.  This bird appears to have settled in for the winter.

      There have been some other low-grade birds in the La Mirada area recently:

      Around 1:00 pm on 11/21/13, I had a female-type SUMMER TANAGER near the first bridge downstream of Imperial in La Mirada Creek Park.  It was quite orange, especially near the tail.

      Yesterday, 11/24/13, around 11:00 am, I had a NASHVILLE WARBLER and SLATE-COLORED JUNCO at Murphy Ranch Park.  They were in the oak and toyon thicket south of the creek about a hundred yards from the parking lot.  The Junco was with a big flock of Oregons.

      On 11/19/13, I had a GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET in the pines near Foster at La Mirada Park.  The week before, I had two and one was in the pines north of the tennis courthouse.

      Jonathan Rowley
      La Mirada, CA