15207RE: Re: [LACoBirds] Harbor Park continuing Rusty Blackbird and American Redstart

  • Kimball Garrett
    Nov 25, 2013

      Birders,

      No matter what the identity of the female blackbird in Gregg Gentry’s photo, there were certainly both a male and a female Rusty Blackbird present in recent weeks at Harbor Park.  There are many very good photos of each bird, and on one day (at least) both birds were seen and photographed simultaneously by Curtis Marantz, Dick Norton and others.  I don’t believe the male has been seen for some time, but as has been posted here the female is still around.  As for the photo in question, I would lean toward Rusty, based in part on the rusty tips to the greater coverts (which should be solidly slaty in Brewer’s); rusty tertial edges are diagnostic for Rusty, but that part of the bird is not visible in the photo.

      There have been at least three Rusty Blackbirds in the county this month, and I should remind birders that this species is on the CBRC review list (so please get your details and photos to CBRC Secretary Guy McCaskie).

      Kimball

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager