15204Second Rusty Blackbird at Harbor Park, Nov 16, 2013

  • Edmond Griffin
    Nov 25, 2013
      Hi Martin, Manuel, Jon and other LACOBirders,

           Here are my Flickr links to the same bird that I took near the observation tower a week ago Sunday (11/16).  I convinced myself in the field that It could not be the same bird as the first one and therefore could not be a Rusty (since they are so rare).  "Must be a mutant Grackle". I thought and let it go.  I didn't even look at my pictures until today.  Ugh!

         For me the thing that really fooled me was the relatively unmarked breast and flanks (see photo 2).  The illustrations in my guides indicate that even the females have such markings.

      Ed Griffin
      Rancho Palos Verdes, CA