Re: [KL] NO Tweaking Sounds & Settings - an Idiot's Guide?

  • Frank W.Kooistra
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
      Charlie

      Your problem is simple : You have a machine with enormous possibilities,
      which like with al machines like that need effort to get to know them.

      Is it the wrong machine for you than ? I doubt . Because you can use it
      as a preset machine , and after the initial : where do i start , you will
      get the feel of it.

      The tutorial suggested is good . And there are enough people here who
      are ready to help.

      But than, still we have to start with some effort.

      Lets start by learning something new : You cannot "tweak" the "sounds"
      in a Kurzweil : Just browse the manual or all the menu's : No tweak
      option No tweak button. And Neither has any other synth . So lets
      forget that word and use the real terms . Kurzweil is one company where
      one can adjust real parameters with real values. So that even a non
      Kurz owner, who knows about, can give suggestions.

      Despite your complains about the manals, I do not think they are that
      bad.
      They just cover a lot in a concise way. Best still is, to familiarise
      yourself with them. ( just read them few times like a book make notes)
      So
      you get the philosophy behind the product. And get to know the terms
      used. And so when you hear something , or observe "out of key " You
      think ah : Intonation : ( Master page-> Intonation ) or grab the
      intonation editor to make you own. I read the manuals many times and
      still whenever i go and make something new i have them at hand.

      What i think is that you need to start from scratch : reset the machine
      to factory settings ( You have read the manual several times so know
      where to find that ( Yes on the master page there is a reset button,
      correct)

      I think start from there and than when you have specific question we can
      always suggest

      I have added some comments in between your text :

      > So, I've had my first synth for a few months, a 2600 (v3.03).
      Making me jealous : But My good old K-2000 is doing fine and is my
      workhorse
      But I play wind instruments : so Piano i seldom use.

      > As I go along, I find that I'm increasingly annoyed by the basic piano
      > sounds - they seem harsh, tinny,

      still there after the reset ?
      >and out of key.
      Check intonation .. ( master Page - Intonation )

      > First, I want to know how to make my piano sounds sound better;
      > and, I want to know how to keep each note from losing its piano
      > character & becoming an unpleasant, synthy-sounding buzz when held for
      > more than 2 seconds;

      Looks like the loop parameters are not set properly : I cannot check and
      compare as I have a K-2000 ( with the standard stereo grand i do not
      hear that . )
      Maybe You are more critical that the piano rom is made for : check out
      sweatwater and the have great Piano sound CD's The samples will be longer
      than the rom.

      > and, I want to know why the best piano sounds sound at a constant
      > volume, no matter how hard I hammer the keys
      Reset helps
      and look at the velocitytouch parameters

      > Can anyone help me? Aside from telling me to sell it & buy a real
      > piano, I mean....

      lots want to help as you have seen
      and Just ask ..
      But do not give up : the more you know about the beast , the more you
      will love it

      regards

      Frank
    • Tomas Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
        On 12/1/02 8:05 AM, "Frank W.Kooistra" <pipeline@...> wrote:

        > Lets start by learning something new : You cannot "tweak" the "sounds"
        > in a Kurzweil : Just browse the manual or all the menu's : No tweak
        > option No tweak button. And Neither has any other synth . So lets
        > forget that word and use the real terms .

        Better yet, let's forget about being absolute about language. I believe
        everyone here knows the understanding of 'tweaking', even if it is not a
        proper term.

        True, one must learn about wave type, envelopes, amplitude, decay, etc - but
        in the end it's 'tweaking' (or my favourite - 'fiddling')

        Cheers, TJ
      • Dr. Hans Obermueller
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
          And if tweaking and fiddling won't work, then start muddling, my fav
          term.

          -Hans

          Am Sonntag, 01.12.02, um 16:42 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Tomas Jones:

          > On 12/1/02 8:05 AM, "Frank W.Kooistra" <pipeline@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Lets start by learning something new : You cannot "tweak" the
          >> "sounds"
          >> in a Kurzweil : Just browse the manual or all the menu's : No tweak
          >> option No tweak button. And Neither has any other synth . So lets
          >> forget that word and use the real terms .
          >
          > Better yet, let's forget about being absolute about language. I
          > believe
          > everyone here knows the understanding of 'tweaking', even if it is not
          > proper term.
          >
          > True, one must learn about wave type, envelopes, amplitude, decay, etc
          > - but
          > in the end it's 'tweaking' (or my favourite - 'fiddling')
          >
          > Cheers, TJ
          >

          > To QUIT KurzList, send a *blank* message to
          > kurzlist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > It will take from 24 to 48 hours for Yahoo!Groups to cancel you.
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --------------------
          Dr. Hans Obermueller
          drhanso@...
        • Tomas Jones
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
            On 12/1/02 10:09 AM, "Dr. Hans Obermueller" <drhanso@...> wrote:

            > And if tweaking and fiddling won't work, then start muddling, my fav
            > term.
            >
            > -Hans

            Then comes twiddling, then descending into 'mucking about' or 'mucking up',
            followed by a hard reset to restore factory defaults.

            Cheers, Tomas